why is my oil so clean? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-02-2015 Thread Starter

why is my oil so clean?

Ive got a 38 yr old Yanmar 2qm20. I baby it. I change my oil and filter every 100 hrs or less, and check it before each start up. I use genuine Yanmar filters. I use Shell Rotella 10w40 conventional oil.

The engine is a little smoky but nothing outside of the norm. (unless you consider the norm for a 38 yr old diesel to be no smoke at all). It does not consume much oil either ... I might add a 1/2 quart in a season.

My oil is clean, damn clean. Cleaner than either of my cars (granted they are both 170k turbo saabs, but still).

The oil is the color of fresh, just out of the bottle, oil. Its been this way for at least a year, maybe more. In fact I cant remember the last time my oil turned the dark black color I would expect of "normal" used oil.

Is this OK? how can this be?

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-02-2015

Re: why is my oil so clean?

The oil on my 30 year old 3GM30F stays very clean for most of the season. By fall at haulout time it's slightly black. On some engines its just very difficult to get all the oil out though the dipstick tube during an oil change which how most of us do it (me included). If some dirty oil remains, the oil will immediately turn dark after the first run. All in all, if you are changing your oil per the engine manual, I wouldn't pay much attention to the color.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-02-2015
Banned

Same here. 30 year old Yanmar. Oil stays very clean. Runs like a top.

oursailingadventures.com
post #4 of 13 Old 06-02-2015
Senior Moment Member

You guys all did something right in a past life - every diesel I've ever had, including new on the pallet, turned the oil black after a few hours of running.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-02-2015

I agree with Brian, all my diesels turn the oil black really quick. That is because it is collecting the soot residue. Which I suppose is a good thing frankly......My 85 2gm20 turns the oil black with in an hour or two. As does my 92 IDI 7.3 in my dumptruck, The kabota in bobcat, the now sold 96 6.5gm diesel, 05 Duramax and 1835 skid loader with a small cummins in it.

Must be doing something wrong........

Marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
post #6 of 13 Old 06-03-2015
Rebecca

That's unusual, and sounds like a really tight engine for its age. Was it recently rebuilt?. Can you post a picture of the dipstick with oil on it? I wanna see! My Perkins turns new oil black just by looking at it. A buddy cruiser's Yanmar is newer and turns new oil black too.
I'm gonna try using the Shell oil brand you use.

The adventures of two singlehanders who cruise in tandem and become best friends in the process:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-03-2015
Learning the HARD way...

I removed and painted my oil pan on my 28+ year old Universal M25 last fall. Here is a before shot;

The oil drain plug (where all the rust is) goes at the forward end of the motor.

Prior to the removal, the oil would turn black very quickly after a change. When I pulled the pan, I realized that because of the angle of the motor, more than half a quart of oil was trapped in the rear of the pan!

I have put about 5 hours on the engine since I refinished the pan, and the oil still looks cleaner than it ever has.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems
post #8 of 13 Old 06-03-2015

This means the oil isn't working. It's a problem and you need to get to a boatyard mechanic for a rebuild.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things y%^&*.....oh never mind. 90% of the people on sailing forums already use that as their signature! I'm not a conformist.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-04-2015

It depends on how hard you run your motor! We have a 1994 fresh water cooled MD22L 50 hp, and the oil stays clean, after all summer! That being said all summer usually is about 15-20 hrs of use. If you only use the motor for short duration, and it does not get hot, then you will get some darkening. In the trucks I used to run, the Detriots always turned the oil black after about 1000-3000 miles. On the Cats, and Cummins the oil would stay clear for about 4k miles, then darken. On the new Cummins 06 and up the oil would stay clean till the next change. Soot is what turns the oil dark. If you have an engine that turns the oil black quickly it usually means you have a certain amount of blow by. If you are worried about the oil not changing color, take sample and have an analysis done of it.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-05-2015
islander bahama 24

Our lil yanmar currently has 92 hours on the oil and the analysis showed the delo 15-40 to be within tolerances for new in used oil. Its comforting to have the paper from the lab telling me there is nothing wrong. I second the analysis recommendation.

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.