Our West Marine Debacle - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 79 Old 06-09-2015 Thread Starter
Crotchety Old Member

Our West Marine Debacle

We were recently in West Marine to buy electronics and other things for our new (to us) Morgan 41 Out Island. As you all know, sometimes dealing with West Marine can be great, and sometimes not so much. I won't go into great detail here, as it would take up a few pages, but I posted it all on our blog at Our West Marine Debacle - Sailing Vessel Footprints
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 Old 06-10-2015

Re: Our West Marine Debacle

Can't say I'm surprised. Although I suppose I am surprised that they actually took care of the problem.
tomperanteau likes this.
post #3 of 79 Old 06-11-2015
ASA and PSIA Instructor

It looks to me like you took advantage of a in-exact ad, (while it did not reference "wifi included", neither did it say "wifi not included") to browbeat West Marine into giving you more expensive features at the lesser price.

Certified...in several regards...

Last edited by sailingfool; 06-11-2015 at 08:57 AM.
post #4 of 79 Old 06-11-2015

The key words 'Buyer Beware' apply here..but luckily both you and West Marine resolved your issue as it could have easily resulted ugly.. I for one went to the manufactures website of our selected electronics to make sure the specs where correct to our satisfaction before purchasing..even though we visited a very knowledgable sales rep at the Annapolis West Marine store as well as talking to severel OEM electronic reps at the falls Annapolis Boat Show.
tomperanteau likes this.
post #5 of 79 Old 06-11-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
It looks to me like you took advantage of a in-exact ad, (while it did not reference "wifi included", neither did it say "wifi not included") to browbeat West Marine into giving you more expensive features at the lesser price.
Kind of agree...once you realized it didn't have Wi-Fi and that the price of the Wi-Fi version was $2300 or so...why not return it and look for the best price for the one with Wi-Fi? Was returning not an option at that point? I'd be curious as to what the other prices were for the Wi-Fi version...if they were all around $2300, and you bought this one at $1700 or so...buyer beware certainly comes into play. Know what you are buying...I've recently purchased electronics over the internet (autopilot and wind meter) and there are certainly a range of prices out there for the same item.

I know West Marine has a bad rap on here, but personally I've never had any issues and they've always been willing to accept returns when I've inadvertently purchased the wrong item. Their prices are outrageous though...
post #6 of 79 Old 06-11-2015

I've always had great service from West Marine. I don't like their business model of generally overcharging for things and running regular deep discount sales, nor do I like the continued de-emphasis of harder goods but whenever I've had a problem with an item they've bent over backwards to make it right. This is doubly true for West Marine branded goods.
post #7 of 79 Old 06-11-2015 Thread Starter
Crotchety Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Really? Looks to you that I took advantage? You don't know me well enough to accuse me of something like that. You completely missed the part where West Marine sold it as an A78 display, and made no mention that it was not an A78 display, but a modified display. Perhaps you need to look at the screen shots that I included in my article. It was the legal opinion of an attorney that it was false advertising.

Shame on you for insulting others without knowing what you are talking about.

Capt'n Tom Living Aboard 50/50

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1976 41' Morgan Out Island Sloop. Refitting and redoing her interior for an extended voyage.
post #8 of 79 Old 06-11-2015 Thread Starter
Crotchety Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
Can't say I'm surprised. Although I suppose I am surprised that they actually took care of the problem.
I was also surprised. I will still shop there, but when I am spending thousands of dollars to outfit a boat, I will make sure that what is advertised, is what I am getting.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1976 41' Morgan Out Island Sloop. Refitting and redoing her interior for an extended voyage.
post #9 of 79 Old 06-11-2015 Thread Starter
Crotchety Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IStream View Post
I've always had great service from West Marine. I don't like their business model of generally overcharging for things and running regular deep discount sales, nor do I like the continued de-emphasis of harder goods but whenever I've had a problem with an item they've bent over backwards to make it right. This is doubly true for West Marine branded goods.
True. And in the end I will continue to shop there. They did make things right for us.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

post #10 of 79 Old 06-11-2015 Thread Starter
Crotchety Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolesailor View Post
Kind of agree...once you realized it didn't have Wi-Fi and that the price of the Wi-Fi version was $2300 or so...why not return it and look for the best price for the one with Wi-Fi? Was returning not an option at that point? I'd be curious as to what the other prices were for the Wi-Fi version...if they were all around $2300, and you bought this one at $1700 or so...buyer beware certainly comes into play. Know what you are buying...I've recently purchased electronics over the internet (autopilot and wind meter) and there are certainly a range of prices out there for the same item.

I know West Marine has a bad rap on here, but personally I've never had any issues and they've always been willing to accept returns when I've inadvertently purchased the wrong item. Their prices are outrageous though...
Wow, so you agree that I perpetrated a fraud? Seriously, folks, when did it become popular on Sailnet to accuse others of something so insidious?

They advertised this unit as having a certain display, which it did not have. They changed the ad after agreeing that they were in the wrong. So after paying for something that I did not get, somehow I am in the wrong? Kinda like blaming the wife because you had to beat her.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

Tags
electronics , west marine

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.