Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-28-2001

lindaamstutz is on a distinguished road
Interior teak

I have a brand new boat with teak interior. The manufacturer recommends Daly''s SeaFin Teak Oil for the interior wood - I read the instructions and it sounds like more of a varnish than "oil". I have always used plain old lemon oil but since this is a new boat I don''t want to mess it up! What suggestions have you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2001

RichH will become famous soon enough
Interior teak

Eventually all this oil finishes will turn very dark and the interior of your boat will look like a tomb .... and the all the finish will have to be stripped.
If you must use oil, the BEST Ive ever found is the simple light weight furniture oil sold by Danish/Scandinavian furniture stores.
Old 08-28-2001

kimberlite is on a distinguished road
Interior teak

we cleaned the interior teak and varnished the whole shebang with 4 coats of epifanes varnish.
looks like a hinkley,eric
Old 08-28-2001

joub is on a distinguished road
Interior teak

As the owner of a 20 year old boat with lots of teak in the cabin, I can say emphatically..."don''t use oil if you plan to keep the boat for more than a few years!"

I have spent many hours cleaning up old dark teak that is the result of oil treatment and father time. It has been a LOT of work cleaning and varnishing, but the results are outstanding! Well worth the effort! Were I fortunate enough to have a new boat I would make every effort to varnish, or even have someone else varnish the interior...your boat will look like a yacht! It will be a source of pride when compared to boats with oiled interiors.

A varnished interior will last for years without further attention....oil will require periodic renewal, and the wood will ultimately turn dark because the oil oxidizes with age.

Fairwinds

Jim
Old 08-30-2001

jjjulius is on a distinguished road
Interior teak

Does anyone have a suggestion for the teak on the companionway steps that get a lot of traffic?

Old 08-31-2001

RobHoman is on a distinguished road
Interior teak

Your companionway steps would be better off having non-skid material placed on the portions where feet touch it.....the purists will "gnash their teeth and wail" over that, but a set of varnished steps will cause you , a family member, or a guest, to do the same after an impromptu slip and tumble down the steps.....

On our interior teak, my wife has taken that job on (I''m too messy), but she is using a "wipe on polyeurathane" that we got a Home Depot. Thus far the teak that she has done looks absolutely GREAT!! Prior to her working on it, it was dull and dark...we were afraid more oil wouldn''t be of benefit. We like the "shinier look" on the teak anyway. Just read and follow the directions. Oh, btw- our boat is 26 years old...and the teak had not been maintained properly...looked sad when we got her.....looks great now.
Old 09-01-2001

joub is on a distinguished road
Interior teak

Varnished Companionway ladders do get slippery when wet. One way to deal with the problem (if you have some time) is to make some "Ladder-step Mats" as shown in the book "Arts of the sailor". by Smith.

It took a couple of failures before I got the hang of it, but once mastered it goes pretty fast.

I think the mats really look "salty", provide good traction, and of course they protect the varnish from wear.

I anchored mine to the steps with #4 brass screws (8 per mat). If you grind off the screw heads so the screw is basically a 3/8" peg, the mat will fit right down over the peg and be secure without the screw showing.
(I can give you more detail if interested)

Fairwinds
Jim

Old 09-02-2001

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Interior teak

Another way is to wait until the varnish is just getting tacky and roll over it with sponge roller. I would practice this on a scrap piece of wood so you are sure to get a uniform texture. On my boat every other plank in the cabin sole has been roughed up that way. While it is not the best looking finish that have ever seen it does result in a grippy varnished deck.
Regards
Jeff
Old 09-02-2001

kimberlite is on a distinguished road
Interior teak

we have a varnished ladder to which we applied clear non skid.
we also use the clear non skid on the hatches to prevent people from slipping on a wet deck.
eric

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.