Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-11-2000

Centaur is on a distinguished road
Westerly Centaur Headliner

I am planning on planking my headliner as well as the quaterberth sides and v-berth sides with tongue and groove strips. Can anyone tell me the best place to obtain the materials I,ll need to complete this project. Could I use cedar strips to save over the cost of teak? Rick R
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2000

sailormandave is on a distinguished road

Rick, you may wish to post a message on the sailnet Westerly list-server. I believe there are folks who have done just what you have are thinking of.

- Dave, Centaur owner.
Old 10-23-2000

mmatthews is on a distinguished road

Rick:

I planked our v-berth. We thought about tongue and groove, but in the end it ends up being a lot of weight, and expense. Everything we found for the projet at hardware stores. We bonded four vertical running pieces of plywood, 2-3 inches wide along the sides of the hull. We then used a product known as liquid nails to affix insulation (ours was an name that escapes me now--a cross between aluminum foil and bubble wrap available at large hardware stores). We hemmed and hawed alot about the possibility of using cedar, or poplar, but ended up going with 1/4-inch pine lattice, which once the edges are shaped with a sander and is varnished, looks fine. Brass screws completed the project.
Good luck and sign up for the Westerly email disussion list,
Mark
Old 10-28-2000

Centaur is on a distinguished road

Mark ... thanks for the info regarding the headliner ... have sent more info on my project to the westerly list....sounds like you''ve done some extensive sailing in the centaur... "Levara" has a lot of sea miles under its keel and I thought all of it was in the Med-Atlantic-Carribean but yesturday as I was removing the Onancock Va. lettering from the stern, I could make out former lettering that said San Francisco so I''m thinking this boat may have more experience than I previously thought.... if only it could talk...Rick R

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.