SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

RIB Repairs

2K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  RegisteredUser 
#1 ·
I got a RIB with my latest boat and it needs some parts glued back on - oar locks etc. I have zero experience with inflatables and need some advice. The boat is a NOAH YACHT which I suspect is Chinese. I don't know what material it is but I suspect it's vinyl coated fabric. It's not a kids toy, it's a reasonably decent small RIB but it's no Zodiac.

What sort of adhesive should I use to glue back the bits of "hardware" that have come loose? These are all some sort of softish plastic with big bonding surfaces.

Can I simply clean up the bonding surfaces with lacquer thinner/MEK/Toluene and stick them back on with a skim of 5200? Or is there a special adhesive used on these things? If so does it vary depending on whether the boat is Hypalon or Vinyl?

I've got some 5200 getting old so if it will work I'd just as soon use it.

#3 ·
I have used quick cure 5200 to do repairs on a hypalon dinghy and it was wonderful. I guess the slow cure stuff would be fine too if you can let it sit for several days to get a good set before you deflate or move it. The 5200 was far superior to the 'proper' and expensive hypalon adhesive we used previously.

Reactions: tdw
#5 ·
Jon-
Its important, long term, to use the right adhesive. I'd suggest the cheapest way to find out is to buy a vinyl patch kit (for toys and pools) and see if the dink dissolves and fuses with it. If not, it isn't vinyl. Less than $5 to make sure. Then go for an adhesive that will bond that and the hardware.
The West System "G" might do it all, but I'd check with them. And on price.

#8 ·
Thanks everyone. First I think I'll go over to Kits Boats and talk to them since they are dealers for Noah.

#9 ·
What is the best "primer"/ cleaner for the existing surfaces? From my experience, getting the mating surfaces clean is an important step in getting a lasting bond. Acetone? MEK? PVC pipe primer? I have a couple of attachments showing the edges starting to loosen and would like to move two line eyes because they bump the oars when rowing.

#11 ·
I practically rebuilt my pvc OMC iExpress inflatable. After a lot of research, I discovered polymarine. The also have helpful videos. Zodiac Dinghy Transom Repair | Polymarine Paints, Adhesives, Parts & Accessories

I followed their instructions, including sanding the surfaces to improve bonding. I cleaned/wiped the surfaces down with acetone before applying the two part glue. They also caution ( and instruct ) on gluing rubber parts to the dinghy ( including the rubber transom part and most attachments ). You need a different glue for that,which they also have. I've been using the dinghy in the Caribbean for 14 months now and she is holding like new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.