SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

How do I fix this fractured fiberglass?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  newhaul 
#1 · (Edited)
The fiberglass on the hull (not the deck) a few inches beneath the forward mooring line chock has cracked/fractured, apparently due to the pressure against the glass from the line when the boat swings (I tried to attach a pic but I don't know if it posted). The glass is fully cracked and soft there. Questions:

1). Is this a critical time-sensitive fix (ie if I don't fix it quick, will water get in and do something awful like delaminate the whle hull, etc, or can I wait till after season to fix?).

2). How do I fix (I've never fixed fiberglass before...is this an easy, medium or hard job?). As you can tell, I'm not very experienced.

3). What can I do to prevent this from happening again (ie some type of metal fixture to protect the glass?).

Thanks!

#3 ·
Well there isn't a ton of magic to it. You grind out the old glass and lay on new layers of cloth and epoxy. Take a look at "West System", they have good online help to give you an idea. Also check youtube. Fiberglass is actually pretty easy to work with once you see the process.

If it's the hull it's probably solid glass with no core, but it seems like fixing a crack in your hull should be high priority.

#4 ·
Your thought that the hull has cracked due to a mooring pendant applying pressure when the boat swings seems unlikely--it's probably impact damage (e.g., piling or another hull). In any event asdf38 is correct. For more detail go to the West Epoxy site and download free 002-550 Fiberglass Boat Repair & Maintenance —84 pages. The work is messy and tedious but not difficult. If the fracture is not moving I'd tape over it and make the repairs when the boat is pulled for the winter.

#5 · (Edited)
I think you need to correctly assess the extent of the damage. Most fiberglass boats are made of fiberglass, with an outer layer of gelcoat covering it. The gelcoat is what makes the hull white, or whatever color the hull is. Gelcoat isn't structural. It's mainly cosmetic. If only the gelcoat is cracked, that isn't a major concern. If the fiberglass is damaged, that should be fixed. Most older boats have some gelcoat cracks, and in most cases, the owners simply ignore them with no adverse consequences. I suggest you have it looked at by an experienced sailor or by a local marina worker and ask his opinion whether it requires any repair at all. If you can post photos, we can offer our opinions, but it would be better if the person can see it for himself.

#6 ·
If the area is how you describe it. I would lean towards it being from minor piling impact and likely just gel coat crazing and not an issue. However we are all just shooting in the dark without at least a picture

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.