SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

To Chrome or not Chrome.....

3K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  jerryrlitton 
#1 ·
I'm in a spot where there is a good shop that chromes old unsightly gear. Just had some cleats come back looking really good.

Always wondering if I should get my Binnacle chromed. Here's a shot of my Binnacle>

What say you?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
That's what midshipmen are for! Polish it! I was on bell-polishing detail on the Pride II one day many years ago. It's surprising how fast the brass needs a touch-up, and how beautiful it looks when it is done.

Of course, this is a "do as I say, not as I do." I've got six brass belaying pins on my boat, and the last time they were bright was when I bought them....

#5 · (Edited)
Here's another way ..... I have nearly the same binnacle on my Ty37. I flat sand down to 1500 grit level and then power (fabric wheel) buff to highly polish it (using jewelers rouge) ... and then overcoat with 5-6 coats of clear 2-part acrylic-urethane (SignatureFinish.com: 'Honey Teak' - Clear). This results in a brilliant shine on the bronze that lasts 5-6+ years. (The Honey Teak finish on the exterior teak lasts 8-10++ years, with only a 'scratch-up' with 3M Purple Pad, then clear coat every 2-3 years.)
At present, the eventual degradation of the coating on the bronze apparently occurs through trapped moisture from the 'underside' / inside of the binnacle/portlights to the outer surface that 'creeps' to the outer surface along the edges; so, next time I do this I will coat also the internal / 'underside' surfaces near any 'edges' in the hope that I can extend the coating life to 10-12 years. I do, and will do, this with my bronze port-light frames when I remove and reseal/recaulk them.
I would think and presume that the modern 2-part catalyzed clear overcoats used on hand-sanded and highly polished concours automobiles would also be suitable.

I dont have a clear pic of the binnacle, but here's a pic that also shows what the polished bronze portlight frames look like. The binnacle is 'hiding' behind that maroon deck seat, just partly visible:

#8 ·
The base of our binnacle is chrome and the compass cover is brass, like yours. I've often thought of chroming it, but the thought of the reflection from the sun at certain times of the day (especially when I'm on the helm) might make me really sorry I did. Of course it would look better, but practicality wise, I'm not sure it makes sense.

#10 ·
Chrome has no place on a boat. In a relatively short time regular chrome will start to pit & peel. A high quality job will last a little longer before it starts to pit & peel.

Polish it or powder coat it.

#12 ·
Thanks for the replies. In the olden days I polished it. When crew made a few too many faux pas then it was polishing the binnacle time for them. Now I just issue jug fines or beer fines. I do like the salty look. I'll have to sleep on this one for a bit.

#14 ·
Probably bronze, it was never easy to polish or get it to stay shinny. I never completed my polishing apprenticeship either. I must be allergic to Brasso. Sandpaper is giving me fits these days too. Aloof--my crew says do you want to eat good Thai food or have me polishing? I'd rather eat.:)

#16 ·
Yes, bronze is great, if it polished. Probably weekly in metro areas and busy harbors.

Your crew has achieved a distressful bargaining position. All hope is lost.

#17 ·
^She just made you an offer, polish the binnacle for a killer Thai dinner or two. She said one meal wouldn't cover it. So Red snapper wrapped in banana leaves on the BBQ or maybe chili crab cakes? I'll shout a Singha or two.

#18 ·
Good offer...as my cook has gone on holiday to the PI...and you are downwind of me. However there are a half dozen tropical depressions, or worse, betwixt us.

#20 ·
I use Autosol for all my metal polishing - it's the best thing I've ever found short of a bench buffer.

Reactions: aeventyr60
#27 ·
I like how it looks. Nicely aged.

I've used brasso before on my ships bell. When I used it, it was a BIG improvement over how it looked when I got the boat. Then, more recently, I decided to try Collinite Metal Wax and brought it a nice mirror shine. Still needs some touch ups once in a while but it still looks a lot better than before. I think it would do wonders on that binnacle. I've also used it to polish stainless bolts to a nice shine too.

Oh and the metal wax doesn't have that horrible smell like brasso.

Here's the before (with brasso) and after of the bell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.