SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Fixing gel coat dings. Epoxy or gel?

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  newhaul 
#1 ·
I've got a tanzer 7.5 with a few dings in the gel coat. The seller gave me a quart of gel coat and hardener kit. I've been reading a bit and some say epoxy is better? Shold I try to make the gel coat work (never done it before) or try epoxy?

Also 2 things with those:

-if I use epoxy would a JB weld type work? It's pretty strong stuff.
-if I use gel coat I don't have the spray for the top coat, will plastic food wrap (seran wrap) work if taped over fresh gel coat to cure it?

Tnx!

#2 ·
I've filled quite a few dings in the gel coat with epoxy, and am not happy with the results cosmetically. The repair always stands out like a sore thumb. I have tried regular thickened epoxy, and the white Marine Tex. In terms of strength and adhesion they both work fine.

I've come to the conclusion that gel coat is going to give the best appearance, and mastering it is on my list of things to do!

#4 ·
If the gouges are only into the gelcoat, polyester resin filled with colloidal silica (Cabosil, etc.) is your best bet due to the speed of the cure.

Then flat sand and spray out (and feather out) the gel using a Preval aerosol spray gun, etc. using MEK as the solvent/thinner for the Gelcoat, and then an overspray with polyvinyl alcohol (PVA or 'parting fluid') to speed the cure .... followed by flat sanding successively down to 800 grit, followed by power buffing.

... this guy also offers a full CD on "professional gelcoat repairs without a mess" - well worth it for the starting gelcoat DIYer.

#6 ·
Thanks everyone! Some great answers here. Unfortunately I live fairly rural and don't have access to alot of stuff. Just finding acetone proved to be a challenge. I did he gel coat last night with a friend helping. We masked and laid seran wrap over the spots and I tried to ensure it was tight.

I know I mixed the gel coat proper because after 15mins or so of using it the suffering went from liquid like paint to jello then started to even smoke a bit and turned to rock solid plastic (in my mix bucket not smoking on the boat lol). I got up this morning and it's still covered from last night.

The coat seems to be solid and feels like it through the seran, but I'm not sure if some of the edges felt looser like they may be tacky?

If some of the surface is tacky tonight when I go home and uncover them can I sand the tack off or wipe it clean with acetone?

The stuff that came with the boat was a can of West coast marine laminating white gel coat no sag. Thanks!

#8 ·
Ain't autocorect'great and if it started smoking in the pot you likely used a little to much catalist also for future and others that may read this in he future if possible get the gel coat with the wax in it then there is no need for the saran wrap

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.