How do I access galley sink plumbing? - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

How do I access galley sink plumbing?

Keep in mind I'm new to owning a boat and am not experienced in mechanical stuff so this is all new to me.

I have a newport 27 and the sink is in good shape but missing a faucet and I have no clue if any of it works.

I know that the plumbing system is very simple and probably easy to replace with a few hoses but I can't figure out how to access under the sink.

In the cockpit I can open the seat and see where everything is but there's no physical way to reach in such a narrow spot to get to it... do you know if I'd have to remove the water tank in order to access the plumbing or is there typically some way of getting in from the cabin?

See image below for where the water tank is and right behind it is where the sink area is.

Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Old enough to know better

Re: How do I access galley sink plumbing?

Do you have children? Good use for them! They can get there little hands into very small places. You might be able to pull the sink itself out, or even pull the counter up and off. Is there any access to below the sink from a cabinet? The trouble with working on boats is that every project runs into other projects. It is a viscous cycle. Tear apart a cabinet/counter top, well now you have have a counter top or cabinet to replace or repair. Fun Fun Fun (if you say it enough times you will start to believe it)
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

I have five kids actually! but they're all too little to really know what to do. The counter is glued down, the sink can come out easy (I was hoping it would pop right out!) but after an inch or so I can feel it's obviously connected to something. I'm pretty sure I'll have to remove the fresh water tank but was hoping there would be some kind of easier access.
post #4 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

O.K., what am I looking at? The right side of the photo is down and left I up? A couple of quick comments. Is there a hose that is disconnected? If so, where is it supposed o connect too? You will get lambasted a little for no having your electrical wiring bundled correctly. Back to important matters - can you post a picture from the galley side? usually you can gain access through a drawer front. You will want to remove the water tank at a last resort.

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.
post #5 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Hah yeah, the embedding tool automatically rotated the picture, it should be rotated clockwise. I actually posted a few weeks ago when I first bought the boat about the electrical because I definitely know how poorly it's done and what bad connectors there are.

Here's a picture of the sink area, on the right:

There's an icebox on the counter as well, but nothing I can tell that has access. The icebox is supposed to drain to the bilge but it's not draining at all so I've got to figure that out too. I'm wondering if the hose that's detached could possibly be the icebox drain but I can't tell until I can see behind that water tank where everything is.

I downloaded the original manuals from capitalyachts.info and they show the diagrams of the plumbing but no advice on how to access it.
post #6 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Suggestion....when taking pictures of the interior like this one, close the companionway. The sunlight coming thru from the back, makes everything in front of it very dark.

I assume there is no opening what so ever to the underside of the sink inside the galley area. It that is the case, you will probably have to remove the counter top. I'm guessing it was made like that.

Another suggestion, find a friend / dockmate who is a more seasoned boater/sailor to go over the boat with you. He/she can probably point out a number of things you need to know about.
post #7 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Did you remove the stairs and the panel behind them?
miatapaul likes this.

Tempest
Sabre 34
Morgan, NJ
post #8 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

The thing you want to replace is almost completely inaccessible/stuck and you have no idea where to begin? Welcome to boat ownership!

First, sort of like working on a house there is no guarantee that it's going to be easy. Maybe they left a way to access the plumbing or maybe they installed the plumbing before attaching the hull to the deck and 100% sealed it all in after that.

As was suggested I'd look at ways to pull out those stairs and see if there is any access there. At the least it might give you a place to cut a hole which you could later cover up. Or go back to trying to pull up the sink but perhaps pull harder.

It also wouldn't be terrible to cut a hole in the fiberglass in front of the sink and re-install a deck plate or something similar in its place.
ebtvision likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Cut some wires, pull the tank, fix plumbing and rewire proper. Know the boat.
post #10 of 11 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

I figured it out, I had to pull up the sink and everything is accessible underneath. The drain hose tees into the port cockpit scupper down to a through hull so I had to close the through hull but at least I figured it out.

Now... I can't seem to figure out why the footpump isn't pumping water out. The hose from the tank to the pump is connected and when I press the footpump a good stream of air shoots through the faucet hose ... but no water. I have the tank filled about 1/4 of the way, any suggestions on what I should look for when the pump shoots air out the faucet hose but no water?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.