Installing Wavefront Tiller Clutch - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Installing Wavefront Tiller Clutch

I'm in the process of installing a Wavefront Tiller Clutch:
http://www.wavefrontmarine.com/

Their instructions have the jam cleats on the transom or routed through fairleads on the transom, to jam cleats on the coamings in a "W" configuration.
This has the control line more or less level with the Tiller Clutch.

I am considering mounting my jam cleats down on the sides of the cockpit benches, at about shin height, with the cleats angled upwards, to allow a fair run from the cleat to the tiller clutch.

Before I go drilling holes in the boat, does anyone see how or if the downward direction of the control line would present any problems?

Thanks.

S/V Old Shoes
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Re: Installing Wavefront Tiller Clutch

We installed the same thing a few weeks ago. While we put it on the transom, if I recall correctly I think the control line runs down for us too - I think. We'll be at the boat tonight and I can take a look and let you know.

"Pegu Club"
1975 Bristol 24 Corsair

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Chastened

How do you like it?
Do you find that you need to put a bit of slack in the control line to allow the tiller to swing through its arc when making a turn?

S/V Old Shoes
1973 Pearson 30 #255
post #4 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago

We like it so far. It's nice to be able to take my hand off the tiller every once in awhile. We haven't found that we've needed to put any slack on the line once the tiller is horizontal. Adjusting it is really easy though if necessary.

We're on the boat now and it looks like our fairleads are approx two inches up from the cockpit floor with the cleats approx 12 inches above the fairleads. They're below my knee and I'm 5'3".

"Pegu Club"
1975 Bristol 24 Corsair

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago

This is a nice product. I had my hands on one at the defender store but refrained from purchasing it. But it's well made with a smooth action. It's still on my list.

I currently have a line with a loop in the middle (alpine butterfly loop) and two adjustable grip hitches going back to U bolts on either side. So I slip the loop over the tiller and adjust the slip knots to achieve the same goal. It works though it's not as quick on/off

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
How do you like it?
Do you find that you need to put a bit of slack in the control line to allow the tiller to swing through its arc when making a turn?
I assume this depends quite a lot on the specific geometry of the tiller hinge point versus the location of the device and the two anchor points for the line. The manual gives some help if I recall.

Though I assume it doesn't matter a ton? The line only generally needs to be taught in one direction.

As an aside, upwind in particular, I can get my boat to sail fantastically with the tiller just tied off this way. It's my typical upwind strategy. I just need to adjust when the wind speed changes. But the boat sails better and tracks wind direction shifts better this way than I can myself.

I was out a couple weeks ago beating upwind and the boat was sometimes shifting directions noticeably. I'd grab the tiller assuming that I needed to re-adjust the tiller line but surveying the sails and windvane showed the boat was totally locked in and tracking real wind changes (city wind) I hadn't noticed. It's a great feeling to get the boat locked in that way.
post #6 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago

I had the Tiller Clutch on a Precision 23 I used to own. EXCELLENT product. Much better than the Davis clutch. Simple, and works like magic. Instant on and instant off with just the flick of a finger.

On the Precision I didn't use a W configuration, just a V. I tied a line to the starboard side of the stern rail and the port side of the stern rail, got it reasonably taut with the tiller centered. Worked fine. The line would become more slack as the tiller was move off center, but it didn't matter in terms of function.

If there's a downside to the clutch, it's the line. It can be in the way. Correction: It's in the way. I'd try a simple V with no hardware if you can get away with it until you can fine tune it to your application. I never had a reason to install hardware (drill holes in the deck) on my Precision. The idea of having more line than the V created makes me cringe...be like a spider web in the stern.
post #7 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago

I have the WaveFront tiller clutch on my Com-Pac 19 & love it. Instead of a 'W' pattern, I just tie the control line to the existing cleats at the corners of the transom. Works fine.
post #8 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Chastened

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcberoz View Post
I have the WaveFront tiller clutch on my Com-Pac 19 & love it. Instead of a 'W' pattern, I just tie the control line to the existing cleats at the corners of the transom. Works fine.
Well, there's certainly no harm in trying this solution!
If it doesn't work, I can always drill holes in my boat.
I won't be able to adjust the control line quickly, but it will be parallel with the tiller, which seems to be the manufacturer's intent.

From there, I can examine other places to mount the jam cleats if it appears necessary to use them.

Thanks, folks!

S/V Old Shoes
1973 Pearson 30 #255
post #9 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Chastened

Wow, glad I tested this out on the stern cleats.
I have a very curved tiller. I'll *have* to mount the cleats down low, to get the proper angle of attack.

S/V Old Shoes
1973 Pearson 30 #255
post #10 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Chastened

Installation complete.

In order to attain the proper angle of attack for my very curved tiller, I ended up mounting the jam cleats quite low.
It also appears that my cockpit bench sides are a bit thin, and backing plates may be in order.

S/V Old Shoes
1973 Pearson 30 #255

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.