Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-25-2007

Qman15 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Nice info...Thanks

I understand that Cetol can soften the polysulfide caulking used in some teak seams....careful!

Cleaning our teak decking we just used a boatwash and scrub brush. It was black and upon inspection and you could see the wood fibers. Results were excellent though, brought the deck from old grey to new gold...at least temporarily...no problem with the grey....the decks just needed a good cleaning after being stored for two years. I think actual wood loss was minimal.

Now without salt water to wash the decks daily, how do you sailors in fresh water take care of your decks?

Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2007

foxglove is on a distinguished road
Teak Guard

Since this is the thread that won't die, I'll offer one bit of experience. Don't use Teak Guard. I used it three years ago and it started peeling the same winter. It's taken me these past three years to strip it off and prepare for a new treatment.

My teak is so thin from 25 years of sanding that the next treatment has to have a long life or I'll have no teak left.
Old 05-25-2007

Wendy is on a distinguished road
I've been reworking the teak trim on my boat- it was a very weathered gray. I have used Interlux Teak Restorer as a cleaner and that stuff is awesome- brought the natural wood color back quickly. I am using Cetol's new Natural Teak and it looks very good- not the orange color that is usually associated with Cetol but rather a honey sort of color. I'll put up some pics later this evening.

Wendy
PSC37 #266
Night Reach
Old 05-25-2007

olegunny is on a distinguished road
Leave teak alone, wash with a salt water to kill fungus. Anything else you put on teak is harmful - varnish looks wonderful in teak but does nothing for the wood.
Old 05-25-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Wendy...top off the natural teak with a couple of coats of Cetol gloss and you will really be amazed...then you just touch up with a scotch brite and more gloss over time so you never deepen the nice color of those initial coats of natural.
Old 05-25-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by olegunny
Leave teak alone, wash with a salt water to kill fungus. Anything else you put on teak is harmful - varnish looks wonderful in teak but does nothing for the wood.
I think you may have a couple misnomers there olegunny. Never heard the fungus thing - but, salt water is used to wash teak decks because of sea water's unique ability to stay wet - causing the planks to expand. Dry teak planking will shrink across it's grain and if allowed to dry out too much - the caulking material may stretch to the point of separating from the wood.

Varnishes and other protective coatings, are not only used for beauty, but also to preserve teak's soft grain sections - which eventually weather's down, raising the hard grain sections. Subsequent sandings to smooth out the surface will in time, diminish the wood's thickness.

There is also some confusion regarding the use of Cetol on decks. Sikkins DEK (which has been discontinued) is very different from Cetol Marine, Light and Natural coatings - which were formulated for exterior teak brightwork, but NOT teak decks.

Never use any Cetol Marine finish on decks. These coatings are soft and will wear very quickly. The chemicals may also react with polysulphide caulking - breaking it's wood bond.
Old 05-26-2007

Wendy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
Wendy...top off the natural teak with a couple of coats of Cetol gloss and you will really be amazed...then you just touch up with a scotch brite and more gloss over time so you never deepen the nice color of those initial coats of natural.
Thanks Cam- I will try this! I finally got some pics up of the teak process for those who are interested.

Wendy
PSC37 #266
Night Reach
Old 05-26-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Teak clean by...salt water......

Picture taken in February almost 1 year after being in the sea
Old 06-25-2007

TimeWellWasted is on a distinguished road
Hi Wendy et. al. -

I'm the new owner of an *old* Pearson Vanguard and am dealing with many of the same issues as are discussed here, but am still so new to everything that I hope you'll all forgive me for asking what are probably repetitive, asinine questions! :-)

My issue is that my Vanguard has 3 different types of wood - a Sitka Spruce boom, mostly teak trim on deck and for the toe rail, and mahogany for the rub rail. I've had to scarf in two new pieces of mahogany, but most of the teak has held up fairly well considering she's 43 yrs. old. I opted to sand off the old varnishes/Cetol because some areas under the hardware were standing way proud, but I'm quite pleased with the amount of wood left and the robustness of the wood.

Three problems, though. First, on the boom, I've used the Wisk/bleach combo, tried X14 cleaner and straight bleach to get the mildew and the mildew stains out - when the boom gets wet, you can still see shadows although the mildew smell is gone. Second, on the teak, particularly on the toe rail, there are some areas where water pooled and I have blackened mildew spots 'though the wood is sound. Third, ditto on the mahogany where the metal rub rail guard was, and in addition, now I have two new bright pieces that stand out like a sore thumb. I should add that this boat was in baaaad shape when I bought her - I'm a sucker for the underdog!

So question - I'm planning to use the same as Wendy - Natural Teak Cetol and the high gloss finish - but what is the best cleaning/bleaching product to use with all 4 wood types, and after cleaning do I oil any of the wood to bring back some luster? I'm not sure what products will cause others to fail (like a cleaner or oil under Cetol), so any info anyone could provide would be most appreciated.

Oh, and Wendy, where do I go to see your photos? Dying to get a good look at a finished Cetol product!

Cheers,
Kimberly
Time Well Wasted
Old 06-26-2007

Mike244 is on a distinguished road
Tim,

Join the Vanguard yahoo group and you will find a ton of information and pictures. After you join the group look at the photos of #244 Seawolf. I have a picture posted of a teak mast step cover finished with Cetol Natural teak infront of my coaming boards finished with Epiphanes varnish.

If you're brave and you only do it once every 20 years or so you can try a pressure washer. The A+B cleaners work well but are hard on the teak as well. You picks your poision and you takes your chances...

See you on the list.

Mike
Pearson Vanguard #244 Seawolf
Annapolis, MD

Last edited by Mike244; 06-26-2007 at 12:17 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.