Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-04-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Navman is now part of the Swedish giant Navico (B&G, Simrad, JCR, etc.) but it seems that their quality issues have not fixed Navman but rather Navman's issues have spilled into and contaminated the quality of the others.

I bought a Simrad wind instrument in the US, sailed one voyage to New Zealand and the instrument wasn't working by the time I arrived. After a long and protracted to-ing and fro-ing (6 months) with the local agents they eventually said that they would not honour a warranty claim even though the instument was only 3 months old when it chucked it's toys.

After my very disappointing experiences with Navman (see earlier post) I am seriously over these products and with my superb experience with the Raymarine stuff on my boat, they'll be my electronics of choice from now on.

The main Navman factory is just a stone's throw from my home and I am of the opinion that they are now so totally engrossed in the GPS mapping for road use that they have sort of pushed marine kit into a dark corner of corporate disinterest.

I personally would never buy anything from the Navico stable again.

Andre
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Navman instruments from all accounts and personal experience are simply crap.

Since the buyout, name has changed to Northstar, from what I can gather, and they have discontinued everything except the GPS units which do appear to be OK.

I wouldn't touch their instruments with the proverbial barge pole.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 08-05-2008

paytman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to paytman
Navman the good the bad the ugly

I too bought navman to replace my DMI instruments on the recommendation of a friend who swore by the stuff, now he swares at the stuff.

installed mine in 2005, worked great for a while, then part of the digits started to dissappear, by end of 2006 all were out except for the repeater at the nav station below; which tells me that moisture is the problem, as the repeater was still getting the correct info.

called navman, and they sent, at no charge, 3 new displays (wind, speed, depth)- supposedly they had moisture issues (odd issue to have for the marine environment, but anyway....)

I thought I was all set for 2007, which I was for a while, until the speed display started to disappear, again.

by 2008, all are blank, though on a rare occassion they come around. Again, the repeater is getting all the info inside where it is dry.

I have left the lights on hoping to dry it out, keep the dodger up so they are out of weather, leave the covers off to 'breath', but now, the speed doesn't even 'beep' when the buttons are pushed.

Practical Sailor just had a letter to the editor with some contact info in the reply; I will start there and hope for the best. Maybe the first set I pulled out are dry by now, it has been 2 years!!! Though no water/moisture was ever found in/around the instruments.

And I really liked the way they looked, even installed the navbus to communicate w/ the repeater and my Garmin GPS at the helm, which they still try and talk to each other. Too bad,

Robert
LUNA
Old 08-06-2008

svtopaz is on a distinguished road
Navman

I am also having trouble with instruments. Would some one put contact info on here or email me them? I do not get Practical Sailor so do not have access to contact info.

Thanks Barbara
Old 08-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Svtopaz-

Navman instruments are located here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-08-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
SD

If you want to be looking at road maps instead of charts that is perhaps a good site.

Problem is: Why should I have any more faith in the land based stuff than I do in the marine stuff?

Andre
Old 08-10-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
This is all a bit confusing. In Oz Navman marine gear is now branded as Northstar. According to the Northstar site most Navman instruments have been discontinued yet they still appear on the Navman website.

I don't understand.

Nonetheless I won't be buying any more of the stuff, although as I said before I didn't have nay problem with my old GPS albeit a unit that was installed at the chart table not outside.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 08-23-2008

ebaumes is on a distinguished road
Similar problem with NavMan

Opening a few old wounds...

I guess if your Navman instruments have not yet failed, they will. They just don't seem to have been designed for any outdoor application.

I have/am having the same problems. LCD display fogged up, then LCD basically fries out. I had one of them serviced under warrantee but now that they are out, I can't see investing anything in these instruments.

My depth and wind both have bad LCD's and I have to rely on the repeater in the cabin for depth (not the best when coming into an anchorage single handed).

I guess I will bite the bullet and go with RayMarine--wish I had done it in the first place.
Old 09-01-2008

russsail is on a distinguished road
I am also having problems with my Navman sailing instruments. Outstanding experience with my first Navman, a 5500 Chartplotter, led me to buying the Navman 3100 series sailing instruments to replace the original Datamarine (1982). I invested in the Navbus networking as well. The chartplotter has been great! The Wind 3100 display went crazy first. I sent it back to the US service center. They replaced the discontinued Navman with a similar Northstar unit. It worked for a month or so, and now it is doing the same thing, (display flickers rapidly and wildly). Now the Speed 3100 and Depth 3100 displays are missing segments of their LCD digits. The repeater at the chart table and the Multi 3100 in the cockpit pod still display the depth, and speed info accurately. Neither repeater can decipher the garbled wind info. I read about leaving the lighting on to help dry out the displays. I'll recheck in a day or two to see if that worked. If not, I'll need to send them back again, or replace all the instruments with Raymarine. That is not a pleasant thought, since it would require hauling the boat to change transducers.
Russ T.
s/v Esprit - Bristol 38.8
Old 09-01-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Russ-

You might not have to swap out the transducers, since many are made by the same OEM—Airmar. I switched from the Raymarine ST60 instruments to the TackTick ones and re-used the existing speed and depth/temperature transducers without any problems. What you need to do is check the wiring and if the wiring is the same number and color, chnces are more than likely that one will work with either display head. The OEM manufacturer chooses the wiring color and generally will have it the same on their product, regardless of who they sell the transducer to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russsail View Post
I am also having problems with my Navman sailing instruments. Outstanding experience with my first Navman, a 5500 Chartplotter, led me to buying the Navman 3100 series sailing instruments to replace the original Datamarine (1982). I invested in the Navbus networking as well. The chartplotter has been great! The Wind 3100 display went crazy first. I sent it back to the US service center. They replaced the discontinued Navman with a similar Northstar unit. It worked for a month or so, and now it is doing the same thing, (display flickers rapidly and wildly). Now the Speed 3100 and Depth 3100 displays are missing segments of their LCD digits. The repeater at the chart table and the Multi 3100 in the cockpit pod still display the depth, and speed info accurately. Neither repeater can decipher the garbled wind info. I read about leaving the lighting on to help dry out the displays. I'll recheck in a day or two to see if that worked. If not, I'll need to send them back again, or replace all the instruments with Raymarine. That is not a pleasant thought, since it would require hauling the boat to change transducers.
Russ T.
s/v Esprit - Bristol 38.8

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.