Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-04-2006
Anne

Freyaofclyde is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Navman Electronic Instruments

We have 3 Navman instruments, depth, wind and log. They were purchased 2/3 years ago. They are all fogging up. We put the lights on as instructed in the instruction manual, which cures the problem temporarily but it takes 2/3 hours for the fogging to dissapear. This is of no use if you have to leave an anchorage in a hurry in the middle of the night. Is anyone experiencing the same problem?

Also, the depth transducer impeller is broken and the magnets have disappeared.

We have tried contacting Navman, but as soon as they get a list of our problems we hear no more from them. We bought these instruments from BoatsUS in the USA and have been informed that they no longer deal with Navman. Also, Plastimo in France seem unwilling to help, referring us to an e-mail address in the USA which has not responded.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Note to self- Don't buy Navman instruments, ever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-05-2006

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Don't buy Navman

SDog

Agree whole-heartedly.

I fitted the whole gammit of their stuff (wind, speed, depth, log, multi repeaters on the chart table, the whole shooting match) and within three months, none of it was working.

Also has anyone noticed on their other instruments that if you're wearing polarised sun glasses, the displays go black? If you turn the sunglasses 90 degrees to left or right the display is OK. Somehow the polarisation counteracts the LCD. It plays hell on the neck muscles with your head in the horizantal position for a couple of hours!!

Does this only happen with Navman or have other brands a similar problem?
Old 08-05-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The problem you're seeing is one due to poor design. All LCD panels have polarizing filters over them, and that is in fact how an LCD panel works—the liquid crystal polarizes light, and by the degree of polarization, it changes the color of the pixel.

Unfortunately, Navman seems to have set their polarizing filters to angle perpendicular to that of most polarized sunglasses...a big mistake, and makes the instruments unreadable, and the polarized light coming off the instruments is filtered out completely by the polarized lenses.

If you want to see what I mean—take two pairs of polarized sun glasses and look through two lenses overlapped, at a relatively bright light source. Then rotate one of the lenses, and you will see the light get brighter and dimmer, and eventually be blocked completely, as the two lenses cross-polarize the light.

Another thing some manufacturers do to prevent this is to use a circular polarizer as the last layer. This is essentially a standard polarizer with an additional optical layer to change the angle of polarization, so it is not all in one direction. This is the same kind of filter that is required on an AutoFocus SLR, as many of the AF chips don't work with normal polarizers, as they have a polarized filter built into them.

I haven't had a problem with the Raymarine Gear on my boat from what I remember...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 08-08-2006

MBesant is on a distinguished road
Also disappointed with Navman. Installed speed and depth in previous boat 3 years ago. Looked great in the store and very attractive on board. At start of 2nd season, depth failed, filled with water. My fault by washing boat with too much spray (cover was on however) Was less than one year from purchase, and can say that Navman distributer in Connecticut replaced it with little hassle (well, actually, now that I think of it big hassle for them. They actually shipped 2 new replacements I returned the extra)
Then Speedlog failed the next year. Same problem, different cause. Caught in a downpour for 4 miles of sailing. Obviously did not want to put covers on the instruments. This time, I sought service under extended warranty. Repair for max of approx $125. But they tried to charge me over $200. Almost as much as new instrument. Took much phone and email to get the display back for the lower cost. Trying to sell the boat, Hope that prospective buyers do not read this :-)
Will just sign
Marty
Old 08-08-2006
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Bummer about Navman products. They sure were hyped when they first came out. Glad I didn't go with them.

As for the polarizing issue -- my Standard Horizon instruments do pretty well with my polarizing sunglasses. The screes can still get dim at certain angles but I can still read them.
Old 08-13-2006
Anne

Freyaofclyde is on a distinguished road
Navman Instruments

Thanks for your comments guys - no surprises here. Guess we'll need to buy Raymarine ....
Old 08-13-2006
Telstar 28

There's always TackTick, and B&G, and a few other brands... I kind of like the idea behind the TackTick gear, and the fact that you don't have to run many cables for it is also a huge bonus if you're doing the installation yourself.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-25-2008

snitz is on a distinguished road
hi ,I have navman problems also.Mine are about 2 years old and sections of the displays go out.It appears to be a moisture thing.The wind also goes out of sinc about 90 degrees for no apparent reason,I initially blamed my crew for leaning on the buttons.I built a pod to mount the set of 3 ,wind ,depth,speed in .It is very water tight and was dry when I opened it up.Navman appears to have gone to ground,I was wondering if anyone out ther had any success getting a fix for what is looking like an inferior product?
Old 04-25-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyaofclyde View Post
Thanks for your comments guys - no surprises here. Guess we'll need to buy Raymarine ....
Personally, I think that is a wise decision. I have most of my stuff actually Raymarine - the last three years - nothing but reliable. However, if you go that route - if you can afford to do so - go the latest and greatest route as the new ST 70 instruments are multi capable, which means that you do not have to have dedicated displays for whatever you install. Price point is higher when you initially look at it but in the end you do not need to buy the instruments or ducers with a dedicated display and you can save big time on installation and real estate (in terms of mounting and wiring the displays) on your boat.

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or