Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-12-2000

Joey is on a distinguished road
CAL 9.2

Looking for info on changes Cal made to the 9.2 in production, that was different from how Ron Holland orginally designed. I would like to know what modications can be made to make 9.2 faster. Also would like to remove the wheel steering that was added, but I need the bracket that connects the tiller to the fitting atop the rudder post.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2000

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
CAL 9.2

I believe that Cal beefed up the deck around the mast step. I don''t remember the details but a lot of them had problems at the base of the mast. There were a loy of problems with the so called "aircraft" interior liners and I understand that was dropped as well.

These are interesting boats but I think the Holland designed Ericsons were closer to the non-production designs of the era. You might look at them for clues.

Good luck
Jeff
Old 10-14-2000

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
CAL 9.2

I was able to do a bit more research. There were three versions of this boat. The early boats had iron ballast and were a bit tender. The later models had lead keels and were more stable. The iron keels were intended to help with the 9.2''s IOR rating. The Lead keel boats had better preformance and do better in PHRF. Then there was an R model. The standard boats had Kenyon masts and the R models had Hall spars. The Hall spars were better for racing. Other up grades were adjust on the fly jib sheet leads as the jib leads need to be changed with velocity changes.

The boats that were raced had the "aircraft liners" removed for safe keeping otherwise the flexing of the boats would crack them up. If this was a permanent change the insides of the glass were often painted.

These are tough boats to race competitively but it can be done.

Good luck
Jeff
Old 10-15-2000

Joey is on a distinguished road
CAL 9.2

Jeff, Thanks for all of this information! Based on your information, my boat is a 9.2 R built in 1983. I have some cracking on the cabin top in the middle between the mast and shrouds on both sides. I had heard that some owners stiffened up the cabin top by adding in metal supports to the hull. Also, the keel is lead but there was a large cut out on bothsides and roughly 300 lbs. was never filled. I heard too of another owner that added the 300lbs., lengthened the boom and was able to sail with a larger main. I have not been able to confirm any of this information. Have you heard of any such changes? Do you know of any resources where I could find the pintel bracket and tiller to fit this boat? Our Lake Lanier PHRF committee has the boat rated at 165 PHRF. In heavy air, I can not sail competitively with that rating. Any suggestions?
Thanks again for all of this great information.....Joey Duran
Old 10-15-2000

CAL 9.2

Cruiser/racer IOR boats of that era are very hard to sail competitively. They are not great light air boats because they are comparatively heavy weight and have a lot wetted surface compared to more modern designs. They were not great heavy air boat either. IOR penalized stability too heavily and so stability was purposely reduced as a part fo optomizing the boats under the IOR rule. These boats were heavily dependent on a lot of weight on the rail in high winds. I would guess a crew weight of 1000 lbs to 1200 lbs or so would be the general range in heavy air. (1000 lbs. is the recommended crew weight on my current 4100 lb 28 footer in a breeze.)

The other issue with IOR era boats is that they depend on comparatively large jibs and small mainsails. Consequently it becomes very important to have the right jib for the conditions. Race boats of that era had huge sail inventories.

It was not all that unusual for a full race IOR boat of this size to have a Light #1 155% genoa (in the early 1980''s typically mylar with a scrim but later kevlar), an A.P. #1 155% genoa (in the early 1980''s typically dacron but later Kevlar), a #2 genoa between 125% and 130%, a Blade (#3) which was 100% to 110% (dacron but later would often made of Kevlar), a working jib 95% or so, a radial or star cut reaching chute and a radial head downwind chute. (I once owned a 25 foot IOR quarter tonner which had all of that plus a drifter, spinacker staysail, and a blooper.)

It is no coincisdence that trin foil headstays came into being during this period. Typical sailing on these boat as the wind built (assuming you had the wrong jib up) was to tension all halyards and outhauls. Tighten the backtays (These boats had enormous backstay tensions up wind except in a chop). Tension the baby stay if you have one to induce a little bend. Drop the mainsail traveller and crank on the of mainsheet.

As the wind built further, you would pull in a flattening reef. This was a second outhaul that was lead to a cringle about a foot or so up the leech of the sail. As things continues to build the jib lead was moved slightly aft to open the head of the jib.

If it was gusty, the mainsail vang was hauled down on really hard when the mainsheet was tight, and then the sheet would be eased in the gusts. This is classic "vang sheeting" In gusts it was not all that unsual to ''flag'' the main and just drive under the jib in the gusts, feathering as necessary.

In a steady state breeze, or too much wind the next step would be to reef the main, followed by a ''peel'' down to a smaller jib. In short course racing a peel probaly costs more than it''s worth (especially since you can make the change when under spinacker). On a distance course, then the peel will pay off.

I don''t know if this is helpful but equipment wise a good vang, and a good backstay adjuster are a must.

Feel free to Email me if you wish to discuss this further, or we can continue do this here where it might help others.

Good luck
Jeff
Old 10-15-2000

CAL 9.2

Two minor points: My email address is wrong above: It should be burr.halpern@annapolis.net

It is not .com.

Also that should have read;

"It is no coincidence that the TWIN foil headstay ....."

Regards
Jeff