Rig tension too tight? - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 07-27-2015 Thread Starter

Rig tension too tight?

Just had the 1/4" standing rigging replaced on my Yankee 30. The Rigger performed a static tune.

Just put my Loose 90 gauge on the rigging and it is MUCH tighter than I ever had it. In fact, most tensions are literally off the chart for 1/4" wire on the Loose scale.
For example, the backstay is reading 48.5, which converts to about 1350 lbs. on the 9/32" scale!
My Loose gauge is fairly old and may be out of calibration, but I doubt it's THAT much out. The rigging feels VERY tight (which is what brought my attention to it).
According to my notes from when I tuned the old rigging, Break load for 1/4" is 3200 lbs. 15% of breaking Would be 480 lbs.
I sailed the boat from the yard the other day and it seemed fine. However, it was an extremely gusty day so it's hard to tell.

Why would the rigger have tuned so tightly? And yes...I will ask him, but want to have my act together before I do as there have been other issues.

Last edited by L124C; 07-27-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 07-27-2015

Re: Rig tension too tight?

That is a tough design mean't for ocean sailing. I friend of mine has raced one of those for 20 years on a variety of offshore races.
I have no idea what should be ideal, but can report that we back our back stay off to about 200# or a bit more when moored. Normal sailing it's at about 1K# and when wind pressure goes up I bring it up to about 2K.
We have a Sailtec hydraulic adjuster.

Sorry to be of such limited help, but perhaps another data point might be useful.

LB
post #3 of 42 Old 07-27-2015

breaking load for 1/4" ss 1/19 wire is 7100 LBS. 3200 KG.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Last edited by overbored; 07-27-2015 at 03:53 PM.
post #4 of 42 Old 07-27-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by olson34 View Post
That is a tough design mean't for ocean sailing. I friend of mine has raced one of those for 20 years on a variety of offshore races.
I have no idea what should be ideal, but can report that we back our back stay off to about 200# or a bit more when moored. Normal sailing it's at about 1K# and when wind pressure goes up I bring it up to about 2K.
We have a Sailtec hydraulic adjuster.

Sorry to be of such limited help, but perhaps another data point might be useful.

LB
hydraulic gauge pressure is not alway the same as wire tension. it would depend on the cylinder piston surface area less the piston rod area.

"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #5 of 42 Old 07-27-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
Just had the 1/4" standing rigging replaced on my Yankee 30. The Rigger performed a static tune.

Just put my Loose 90 gauge on the rigging and it is MUCH tighter than I ever had it. In fact, most tensions are literally off the chart for 1/4" wire on the Loose scale.
For example, the backstay is reading 48.5, which converts to about 1350 lbs. on the 9/32" scale!
My Loose gauge is fairly old and may be out of calibration, but I doubt it's THAT much out. The rigging feels VERY tight (which is what brought my attention to it).
According to my notes from when I tuned the old rigging, Break load for 1/4" is 3200 lbs. 15% of breaking Would be 480 lbs.
I sailed the boat from the yard the other day and it seemed fine. However, it was an extremely gusty day so it's hard to tell.

Why would the rigger have tuned so tightly? And yes...I will ask him, but want to have my act together before I do as there have been other issues.
Here is some good information (Hit the instructions tab):
http://loosnaples.com/tension-gauges/90-model-b

In the beginning, there was only water...
The Following User Says Thank You to casey1999 For This Useful Post:
Cal31Windchaser (08-04-2015)
post #6 of 42 Old 07-27-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Here is some good information (Hit the instructions tab):
90 Model B
Yes, thats what I used to double check my method. Any way I look at it, the tension is off the chart for 1/4".
post #7 of 42 Old 07-27-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
breaking load for 1/4" ss 1/19 wire is 7100 LBS. 3200 KG.
Oppps. Must have transposed the 3200 to pounds (the book I was using was british!)
So, that makes 15% 1065 lbs.
That means the gauge should be reading around 40 for 1/4" (1060 lbs), not 48.5.

Last edited by L124C; 07-27-2015 at 08:58 PM.
post #8 of 42 Old 07-27-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
Oppps. Must have transposed the 3200 to pounds (the book I was using was british!)
So, that makes 15% 1065 lbs.
That means the gauge should be reading around 40 for 1/4" (1060 lbs), not 48.5.
Looks like your rig may be too tight. According to Loos, and other rigger information I have seen, the forestay should be max 15% (some references I have seen say up to a max of 20%) of breaking wire strength. The back stay will be less than 15% due to the larger angle of the wire, and the upper and lower shrouds will be something less than 15%. Too much tension could deform your hull, and anything over 30% can lead to yielding of the wire under sail, which means the wire should be replaced. Also note 304 stainless has a higher breaking strength than 316 ss, so tension, if going by % of breaking strength is different for same size diameter wire.

In the beginning, there was only water...

Last edited by casey1999; 07-27-2015 at 09:08 PM.
post #9 of 42 Old 07-28-2015

the 15% is a starting point. the rig will require tuning after you sail the boat and determine the mast bend and how the mast is in column. the shrouds should be adjusted to give the mast the correct shape required by the rig designer and this may require that some sets of wires are at very different % settings when static. you can not just set them to 15% and say thats good, you need to sail the boat and check. the riggers know how the set up certain types of boats so the owners do not have to do as much adjusting after the initial set up.
The loads on the rigging while sailing are way more then the static loads when you are at the dock. most production rigging is set to be 50 to 60 % load during a knock down. the wire does stretch at these loads but does not permanently yield until just before it breaks.
rigging steps would be to:
set up at 15% making sure the mast is straight in column
go sailing in the average breeze for your area
check mast for bend and shape in column
makes notes of needed adjustments
adjust rigging at the dock
sail again and check mast and sail shape
after you are happy with the mast shape check with loos gauge and record the numbers for future reference.
adjust mast rake to set amount of weather helm
with straight spreaders the shroud tension should not change much but could effect the lower shrouds
with swept spreaders every thing could change so check mast shape and shroud tension for new reference numbers
L124C likes this.

"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Last edited by overbored; 07-28-2015 at 03:29 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to overbored For This Useful Post:
L124C (08-05-2015)
post #10 of 42 Old 07-28-2015

I don't know the facts and figures of rigging but my boat is an old CSY cruiser and the problem i've had with riggers is not having them pull it down hard enough. without the option of readily adjusting the rig at sea i have been hove to protecting my sails with a trisail hoisted and watching the forestay flogging with a furled headsail. much prefer a constant pressure.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.