SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Buying a New Stove

7K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  Brent Swain 
#1 ·
We're going to replace the old CNG stove in our Morgan with a new LPG stove. We've been looking at the Force 10 3 burner, but I've seen some negative reviews about it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

#2 ·
I think there's only 2 marine stove companies operating: Force 10 and EnoEno EnoEno is made in Italy you may prefer Force 10 for parts in the USA, but if you are sailing t. The world Eno is well supplied. So the choice in Force 10 should be easier... their ain't much alternative.

Mine is Eno and I like it.

#7 ·
I bought this Force 10 for my wife two years ago and she absolutely loves it. It is much better than our old Seward. The slide under door is great, internal capacity of the oven is much bigger, holds more even and steadier oven temp and is considerably easier to clean except for the Euro type grate.

IMHO none of the marine stoves are all that great and I have had a chance to use them all Dickinson, Eno, Seaward etc... We bought the Force 10 because of all the stoves I have used it was the one I liked best..

My only real gripe is the engraved numbers/letters on the face are very, very hard to see....

While not a "drop-in" for the old Seaward it was a very easy 20 minute installation. What ever range you buy ship it truck freight to a local freight facility to get around the "lift gate" residential charges.

So far the Force 10 has been great with zero issues...

#8 ·
I replaced my old stove a couple of months ago. I too was put off by the negative reviews of the Force 10 stoves. I went for a Seaward 3-burner stove from Sure Marine Service in Washington State. Truck shipping to California was very reasonable and quick. The trouble is, it looks like Seaward are no longer being made.

Anyway, I'd still recommend Sure Marine if you go for a Force 10 or Dickinson.

#9 ·
I have a 4 burner Force 10 fitted by the PO in 2006. I am a FT liveaboard and it has had daily use for 6 years +. It is standing up really well.

I am happy with it and if it failed tomorrow I would replace it with another.

The oven is excellent and the best boat oven I have used.

I will add a couple of caveats

The switches that fit behind the control knobs and are part of the auto ignition system will fail. It is a known problem and the spares are available and it is a reasonably easy fix. Most cruisers like me buy a $3 barbecue igniter instead.

The grill is pretty pants.

#10 ·
I have a 4 burner Force 10 fitted by the PO in 2006. I am a FT liveaboard and it has had daily use for 6 years +. It is standing up really well.

I am happy with it and if it failed tomorrow I would replace it with another.

The oven is excellent and the best boat oven I have used.

I will add a couple of caveats

The switches that fit behind the control knobs and are part of the auto ignition system will fail. It is a known problem and the spares are available and it is a reasonably easy fix. Most cruisers like me buy a $3 barbecue igniter instead.

The grill is pretty pants.
The infrared broiler is what would likely swing me to the Force 10. I had one in my old house and loved the very high and even heat it provided, but am not sure if it is really that good and enough to really sway me. I believe that is what you mean by the "grill" and I assume "pretty pants" is a good thing, but have honestly never heard that phrase. :smile

#26 ·
The problem we have with CNG is two-fold. It isn't nearly as available elsewhere in the world, and there is no conversion kit for our old stove.

There are a few other peccadilloes, too. CNG doesn't burn as hot and the canisters are heavier and don't last as long as LPG.

#17 ·
Re: has anyone used an RV propane stove on a boat

Not trying to hijack thread but cannot remember how to start a new one Just wondering if it is possible--if anyone has ever taken a propane stove, and refrigerator and used than on a sailboat--- trying to do it on a strict budget and as we have a used motorhome with working stove and frig that are not being used--I could use thm on the boat if they would work. thanks for any input

#19 ·
Re: has anyone used an RV propane stove on a boat

Not trying to hijack thread but cannot remember how to start a new one Just wondering if it is possible--if anyone has ever taken a propane stove, and refrigerator and used than on a sailboat--- trying to do it on a strict budget and as we have a used motorhome with working stove and frig that are not being used--I could use thm on the boat if they would work. thanks for any input
Unlike many 'household' design gas devices, mobile equipment most definitely needs thermo (thermocouple) controlled safety switches to prevent explosions in such 'tight' spaces such as RV and boats. There are some very (country) specific 'statutes' for gas appliances used in mobile installations.

#18 · (Edited)
Have you considered to simply 'rebuild', or have rebuilt, the CNG stove to LPG? Such control componentry, 'safety' components & 'burners' in such stoves are usually common off-the-shelf items .... usually RobertShaw components. Your local propane supply (one who sells bulk gas, gas appliances, etc.) usually can do the 'rebuild' if you dont have the expertise to do so.

Dont forget to add an LPG 'sniffer/alarm' for the LPG system in any case. Unlike CNG, LPG is 'heavier than air' and will wind up in the bilge, ready to go 'boom', if youre not careful.

#20 ·
Two nations separated by a common language.
Pants is a UK word when used in this context it means poor.

The Force 10 grill struggles to make toast and really struggles when faced with grilling a couple of steaks. I do not know exactly why but it has some kind of time limit on its use.

It will make a couple of pieces of toast and I use the barbecue for the steaks.

BTW the Coleman stand up toast rack for use above a burner is REALLY PANTS and disnitigrates after a couple of months.

#21 ·
thanks for you reply--I am really new to this as just purchased my boat. it had previously had a two burner alcohol stove which is gone-- I do not know the dif between the gas and propane other than as you stated gas should be safer as the propane is heavier and can end up in you bilges. Could you tell me how the gas is handled--is it in tanks and or how do you buy it for your boat--thanks again

#28 ·
I bought a CNG stove then converted to propane by drilling the orfice to the correct size. Since you need less propane than CNG I filled the original orfice with solder then drilled a smaller hole. Ta-da, stove functions just fine.

Reactions: copacabana
#31 ·
I have an aged stove, the box and gimble look new, but the aluminum heads and valves look like a lot of work. Considering the cost of new, can anyone recommend a resource for "rebuilding" a stove. I have heard from others, the manufacturer is long gone, but the burners are generic. I'm very mechanical, I would replace all the innards or the whole stove. BTW the link to the GN Espace line would be a sound upgrade on my boat.

Kieran

#32 ·
I have an aged stove, the box and gimble look new, but the aluminum heads and valves look like a lot of work. Considering the cost of new, can anyone recommend a resource for "rebuilding" a stove. I have heard from others, the manufacturer is long gone, but the burners are generic. I'm very mechanical, I would replace all the innards or the whole stove. BTW the link to the GN Espace line would be a sound upgrade on my boat.

Kieran
look for RobertShaw replacement parts, they made most of the burner components. If anyone should be able to help it would be them or one of there suppliers. I would be more worried about the rest of the propane system though, that is where I would concentrate my first efforts, replace any lines, make sure the tank locker is properly sealed from the boat (many, if not most older ones are not) and vented overboard and that there is a remote solenoid and that the system is working.

#33 ·
Not trying to change the direction of this thread too much... but if you are starting over with Propane and doing all of the system install that goes with it, you might want to step back from the original assumption and cast your net a bit wider.
You will find that a full-on propane system with sniffer and remote shutoff will cost you some real time and money.

There are great cooking stoves from Wallas and Origo, to name only a couple more choices.

We have been cooking (and baking) with an Origo 6000 series range for 20 years. Before that we had a two burner propane countertop stove on our prior smaller boat.
We like both...
:)

Loren

Reactions: A-39 Aletheia
#34 ·
I have an origo heat pail on a 29' sloop. The predecessor to this one, 39'. I have no complaints with the product. I have had a couple of flash off type combustion events. It also can smoke a bit, mostly because I get careless in both instances. I like the cleanliness of natural gas or propane.

I looked at the diesel stove of Dickenson, but cost and the potential for spent fuel stink.....not sure I want to start with that.

Kieran

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.