Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-07-2006

wsitch is on a distinguished road
5/16 high-test gypsy for SL555?

Hello all! I think this is my first post. Been lurking for a while. Lots of great opinions here - I hope you guys can help!

My fiancee and I have a Gulfstar 37 that we're outfitting for an open-ended cruise down to Mexico (from San Francisco Bay). We're going to sail down to our wedding in Puerto Vallarta, and tool around until we run out of money.

In the few months before we leave, we're going over everything on the boat, including the anchor system. We just bought a 44# Bruce and a Simpson-Lawrence "SeaTiger" 555 manual windlass. It has a gypsy designed for 3/8" BBB chain and 5/8" rode (I think). It's awesome.

However, the 3/8" BBB is _really_ heavy! It's like 1.7lb/ft, and the load limits aren't all that high: 2650lb SWL, 11000lb failure.

Is there such a thing as a 5/16" high-test gypsy for this windlass? 5/16" HT is only 1lb/ft, and the load limits are much higher: 4700lb SWL, 14100lb failure.

The weight is my primary interest. For 150' of BBB chain, that's an extra 100lbs I'm hauling up/down every time we anchor. For that weight I'd rather have another 100' of high-test!

Does anyone have one of these magical gypsys for sale? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks much,
Will & Sara
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sl555.jpg (66.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg sl555_on_deck.jpg (80.5 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2006

gc is on a distinguished road
3/8 BBB is what 80% (maybe 90%) of boats in this size range use. The general experience is that this works very well compared to alternatives. Ultimate strength is probably not an issue and the weight actually helps the anchor system (looking at the Bruce plus chain). Remember that with all chain rode you can get by with less scope, you will rarely need 150 ft. out. And that little Sea Tiger is a gem - you will hardly notice the weight.
Old 08-07-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Seatiger

Will & Sara

Good luck on parts or service on one of these babies. A number of years ago I found one source for both, a Lewmar distributor on LI, I believe the following:

Oyster Bay Boat Shop59 Sea Cliff Avenue
Glen Cove, New York 11542
USA
Tel: +1 800-645-7446Fax: +1 800-624-9989

They had parts then and can help you figure out what gypsy you have now, if that is not clear. Perhaps they can source the alternate
gypsy. The manual has reference to an optional 5/8" gypsy: http://en.lewmar.com/support/PDF/S-L...er-D1031-1.pdf

I have found the Seatiger to handlethe 3/8" BBB just fine, its quite a work horse, no particular sweat. However, another concern for weight is the ability of the boat to carry several hundred feet of chain in the bow. Most boats are not designed for such load and will end up bow down. (The ability to sit on her lines with with 200-300 feet of chain, plus two anchors in the bow is one test that identifies a boat DESIGNED to go offshore, and few are.) You might check with other Gulfstar owners on this.

Be that as it may, I would think the 3/8" chain more than adequate for your boat, perhaps you should just consider the 3/8" HT, which fits the BBB gypsy.

Bye the bye, the current issue of Cruising World has a great article about anchor gear and surviving a long gale on the hook(s) and would be good background for your considerations.

Good luck.
Old 08-07-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

One other thing, get a water proof cover made for the windlass, and be sure to have short lanyard attaching it one of the mounting bolts.
Old 08-08-2006

wsitch is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the tip on the Oyster Bay place, I sent them an email and we'll see what comes back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool
Be that as it may, I would think the 3/8" chain more than adequate for your boat, perhaps you should just consider the 3/8" HT, which fits the BBB gypsy.
Is this really true? Are you sure? I thought the 3/8" HT was incompatible with the 3/8" BBB due to the link length.

Thanks again,
Will
Old 08-08-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Will,

No personal info on the HT fit, I only referenced the infor from the SeaTiger manual. You definitely want to check a few feet of chain on your unit before you buy 200...that would be one expensive mistake.

Good luck.