SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

what kind of paint for marking my anchor chain

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  TQA 
#1 ·
I have brand new anchor chain and it is also galvenized.
I will be marking lengths with paint.
I'm just not sure what sort of paint (spray paint) would be best.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm here in California where we do not have oil based paints which does not help.

Thanks !

#2 ·
I used fluorescent orange to make it more visible at night. Marked it at 20' intervals - 1 ring at 20', 2 at 40' etc. to 100' then started at 1 again at 120'.

#3 · (Edited)
Sign painters paint:

A double coating, lasts about 9-12 months in saltwater.
Check with other distribution sources for other colors.

In the tropics, I use yellow or orange (red mixed with yellow) One Shot™ to paint the 'topside' of my anchor flukes so when in clear water all I have to do is LOOK from the bow to verify that the flukes are buried, .... saves diving down for a visual inspection of a good 'set'.

One shot probably still has some lead content; so, warning - dont let small children lick your anchor rode.

#7 ·
Paint is fine if you don't anchor much and rarely in sand. Rattle can appliance epoxy works OK.

I anchor a lot [ liveaboard mostly at anchor ] and often in sand. Paint disappears in 2 - 3 months. I use colored cable ties with three ties at each station. I have 210 ft of chain. The first markers are at 70 ft, I would never use less than this. second set at 140 ft. 3rd set at 200.

Ties are cheap, tough and very easy to replace if one gets chewed up. Mine usually last a year or so.

#8 ·
I use cable ties too and I leave the tails on for identification bt braille at night. I did once have a windlass that they would jam on as they do increase the width of the chain slightly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.