Newbie question 2... Correct pennant size for tanzer 22 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-06-2015 Thread Starter

Newbie question 2... Correct pennant size for tanzer 22

I have placed my 300# pyramid mooring with 5/8" heavy and 1/2" light chain. One swivel between the two chains. I'm using a 15" mooring ball and I'm now figuring out the pennant situation. I have one bow cleat. The 5/8" New England ropes pennant I bought (16' long) has a thimbal end and a looped end. The looped end won't fit through the "eye" of the cleat. I wanted to do a double pennant setup, but that is out of the question if I use 5/8" line.

I now have a 1/2" setup, 12' long and the loop passes through the eye of the cleat and then I can loop the other 1/2" pennant over the first. Seems like a good setup, BUT, the 1/2" line is rated for 10,800 lbs. The Tanzer 22 weighs 2,900 lbs. I'm concerned i don't have a thick enough rope, but the larger 5/8" size doesn't work.

I'm on Lake Champlain in a moderately sheltered bay, but we are exposed to some pretty strong winds at times.

I want to launch this weekend...

Help and comments please!

Jeff
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-07-2015
Remember you're a womble

Re: Newbie question 2... Correct pennant size for tanzer 22

Line is plenty thick enough, just make sure your chafe protection is good, I went through something similar recently and my boat weighs about twice yours - I think I ended up with either 1/2" or perhaps a touch bigger, I forget. I have dual pendants though, one a couple of feet longer than the other, both share a cleat although I had to fit skene chocks on the bow to route them nicely either side.

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravey12901 View Post
The 5/8" New England ropes pennant I bought (16' long) has a thimbal end and a looped end. The looped end won't fit through the "eye" of the cleat. I wanted to do a double pennant setup, but that is out of the question if I use 5/8" line.

Jeff
It is only necessary to slip the loop over the cleat, and then lash it, typically using the line from the pickup. No need to insert it through the "eye". Go with the largest pennant that will fit through your chocks. And chafe protection is essential as most failures are due to chafe, not failure due to excessive loads.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-30-2015

I realize I am probably too late to give you the answer you need, but thought it might be comforting to know that my own T22 and 8 others in my club are moored with 1/2" pennants and have no problems.

You want the nylon to act like a shock absorber, so you really don't want to go over sized if you don't need too. 1/2" should be good, and I would rather have two pennants than one.

Last edited by jhock; 08-30-2015 at 10:02 PM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 5 Old 08-30-2015

Here's a good article on moorings along with some recommendations on sizing.
Mooring Basics - How to Install a Permanent Mooring
Note that 5/8 inch is recommended for your size boat. In my opinion 1/2 inch is too small.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.