Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-11-2006

Gene T is on a distinguished road
There are a few simple things we can do to reduce the damage to our outboards. When you are done using the OB for a few days run it dry. i do this while I fresh water flush it. Then pull the choke and restart it and run it dry again. It's important to empty both the float and choke areas in the carburetor. This is very important for 2 stroke engines and should help 4 stroke also. Don't buy any more fuel than you think you are going to use in the short run, maybe a months worth.

It also might be worth considering the oil mix ratios you are using. It is my understanding, and please feel free to provide more information on this, that the move from 50/1 to 100/1 was just an EPA issue and not a design change. A 2 stroke at idle needs a leaner mixture or it will run rough. But at full power a richer mixture is better for engine life and lowers the running temp. This would imply that the recommended 100/1 ratio might be leaner than you really want for high speed use. I wonder how the oil mix ratio relates to the new fuels. I am not sure I see a downside to running a richer mixture.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
For what it is worth, as the mixture gets leaner, the engine temperature generally rises as the mixture gets leaner... ethanol-based fuels cause the engine to run hotter to begin with, so it may be worth making the mixture a bit richer, to help drop the engine temperatures and prolong the engine life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-14-2006

KenD is on a distinguished road
I have looked at the ongoing articles covering ethanol in fuels,sounds like a typical gov. boondogal.Boat U S Insurance for the last two or three months have had a feature article about this.Short story If you have fiberglass tanks the fuel will eat them up,and then screw up your engine!
Old 08-15-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yup... especially the older fiberglass tanks, which had resins that were more susceptible to breaking down under ethanol.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.