Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-11-2006

bsfree is on a distinguished road
Helm removal

Hoping someone knows the right technique to remove a Yacht Services Co helm on my Challenger 32. It looks just like an Edson setup. There is a notch in the hub and I can see a key recessed about 1/2" back. Problem is the rear of the hub is solid and I can see no way for the wheel to come forward without the rear contacting the key, and there isn't a channel from the key to the front of the spline to allow key removal first.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Brian
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2006

chuckg is on a distinguished road
The best thing you can do is to get rid of the old Yacht Specialties pedestal. They have been out of business for 18 years and new parts are nearly nonexistant
Old 08-11-2006

svindigo is on a distinguished road
We have a YS pedestal as well

but our wheel slides off easily as the rear (or forward facing) face of the wheel hub has the keyway cut in it. I hate to ask the question but are you sure that your wheel hub does not have the keyway cut all the way through so that you can pull the wheel off leaving the keyway in the shaft?

Ours was hard to remove the first time and I thought we had the same problem. A little WD40 and elbow grease got it off for us. If your set up is different then maybe a very small drill bit and screw extractor might get the key out?

Good luck
Ike
Old 08-12-2006

bsfree is on a distinguished road
I (finally) saw the keyway at the rear of the hub last night, all became clear and I used a puller today and off it came. Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 08-12-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
If there was corrosion holding your wheel tight, you might want to clean out the hub & keyway, and than reassemble with antiseize. The stuff is expensive, but everyone I know who has started using it, has become a convert.
Old 08-12-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You can use anhydrous lanolin, available at most pharmacies, or Lanocote, available at most marine chandleries, for an antiseize compound, and it's relatively inexpensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-13-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Lanolin will last for ten years in an exterior fitting, the way NeverSeize will?
Old 08-13-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Anhydrous lanolin is very viscous, sticky stuff. Lanocote is the commercial version that has some additives to give it better protective properties, but neither is likely to wash away, especially in a very tight area, like the keyway on a steering pedestal.

While I don't know if it would last 10 years, a decade is an awfully long time to go without disassembling and inspecting a piece of gear, especially one as important as the steering system on a boat. But YMMV... if you are willing to risk your steering system failing in a storm, be my guest.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.