Compass Reinstall - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Compass Reinstall

I took my Ritchie binnacle compass off the boat a while ago to fix a leak. I think the problem was a bad o-ring. Refilled with odorless mineral spirits using a clean west systems syringe. No bubble since!

Now it's time to reinstall the compass. It has a light on it, but it was never wired to the boat. I ran some twisted-pair wire up the binnacle and prepared to reinstall.

Now I'm stuck. I wish I'd taken a picture before removing the compass from the boat.

The ring around the dome has limited options for mounting the light, but they seem to be on the wrong side of the compass.

The compass has six lubber lines: One is yellow and hooked 90. I assume this one goes forward. The are are two other yellow lubber lines 45 to either side of the hooked one. There's one every 90 from the hooked one.

If the hooked one is forward, the light mounts between me and the compass. That's not right.

Did I install the compass backwards? Did someone service it before and flip it around internally?

1975 Tartan 30 Competition Rig

Last edited by eko_eko; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:05 AM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Re: Compass Reinstall

I'm pointing at the threaded holes for mounting the light:

Looking aft:

post #3 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago

That looks like it might be a Ritchie Navigator? You have it oriented correctly but the bezel seems to be 180 deg. off. I'm not sure!, But I think that in order to re-orient the Bezel, you will need to drain it again remove the dome and replace the gasket. Maybe that's why the Previous owner left the light off? I was lucky, and Ritchie had a great service guy near me who rebuilt mine. So I've never had to tear into it, myself.

https://youtu.be/mcj7H4ANyDI

They had a number of models and light configurations through the years. https://www.ritchienavigation.com/me.../Navigator.pdf

Tempest
Sabre 34
Morgan, NJ
The Following User Says Thank You to Tempest For This Useful Post:
eko_eko (3 Weeks Ago)
post #4 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
That looks like it might be a Ritchie Navigator? You have it oriented correctly but the bezel seems to be 180 deg. off. I'm not sure!, But I think that in order to re-orient the Bezel, you will need to drain it again remove the dome and replace the gasket. Maybe that's why the Previous owner left the light off? I was lucky, and Ritchie had a great service guy near me who rebuilt mine. So I've never had to tear into it, myself.

https://youtu.be/mcj7H4ANyDI

They had a number of models and light configurations through the years. https://www.ritchienavigation.com/me.../Navigator.pdf
Great links. Thanks!

It looks like I've got to pull the compass (again) drain it, replace the o-ring and reinstall everything with the bezel facing the right way.

The PDF link indicates that the o-ring is no longer available. The video indicates that it can't be reused. Can something like form-a-gasket be used instead?

Alternatively, I may just build a plastic shim with mounting holes in the right place.

post #5 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago

I would give one of your local Ritchie Service centers a call. One of those folks may have a gasket hanging around, or be able to advise you better on how to deal with it. https://www.ritchienavigation.com/wh...vice-stations/

The guy I used in N.J. is no longer on here, but he basically rebuilt and painted my entire compass for $60. I'd call around to the experts 1st.

I suppose as a last resort, you could drill and tap new holes in the bezel on the proper side. Hopefully you can find a gasket though. Not sure if form-a-gasket would work.

Tempest
Sabre 34
Morgan, NJ
post #6 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
The guy I used in N.J. is no longer on here, but he basically rebuilt and painted my entire compass for $60. I'd call around to the experts 1st.
That's amazing. I fixed the bubble myself because the local quote was over ten times that amount. For $60, I'd let it be someone else's headache. I'll try to find someone like your guy.

post #7 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by eko_eko View Post
That's amazing. I fixed the bubble myself because the local quote was over ten times that amount. For $60, I'd let it be someone else's headache. I'll try to find someone like your guy.
Yeah, I think he was a rare find. I think he was retired and working out of his house. But he was listed on the Ritchie website back in 2008. He's no longer on their site. Howard Post who has NJ and Fl. #'s listed. replaced him.

Howard Post
8 Logan Ct. , Brick, NJ, 08724
(732) 295-1871 (NJ)
(941) 966-4987 (FL)

Here's the info, for my guy, it may be obsolete now Paul Wilson of Capt. Howard Wilson & Sons inc.[609-296-3692] Just in case your local folks can't help.

Tempest
Sabre 34
Morgan, NJ
post #8 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Check these guys out too. Make sure you have your exact model # They may have gaskets
Do you know if it's a Globemaster or Navigator? looking at their pages it may be a globemaster.

Ritchie Modified Old Style Navigator Parts (1980-1984)

http://www.vikingcompass.com/5globeold.html

Tempest
Sabre 34
Morgan, NJ

Last edited by Tempest; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:11 PM.
post #9 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago

All things o-ring...at McMaster-Carr...put "o ring" in the search window...

McMaster-Carr

The web makes everywhere the same place. - Fred Reed, from "Fred on Everything"
post #10 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Remember you're a womble

Have you tried calling Ritchie with the serial number of the compass? I have an old Navigator (looks very similar to yours except mine is a powerdamp unit with a sun shade) and they were able to supply me with a nice brushed stainless mount for it at a very reasonable price. They still make basically the same compass so I'd be surprised if there were no parts available.

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.