SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Knife question (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/21528-knife-question.html)

Songlines82 08-14-2006 08:11 PM

Knife question

Awhile ago I was given a Wichard knife that also has a marlinespike and shackler on it. Today I managed to get all three tools open at the same time :o and can't seem to get any of them to close :( If anyone has one of these knives or has used one at some point and might be able to shed some light on what I need to do it would be much appreciated.

Here's the knife: http://us.binnacle.com/product_info....oducts_id=3603

hellosailor 08-14-2006 08:56 PM

The Wichard knives have a safety lock, as many folding knives do. There will be something you have to press, push, or twist in order to fold the blades in. That's to make sure they can't collapse by accident--which can and does cut to the bone when it happens. Not nice.

Does the black "spot" depress? If it does, odds are you have to depress it while folding the blades.

Songlines82 08-14-2006 09:21 PM

Still No Luck

Thanks for the post but, unlike any other folding knives that I've used, this one doesn't seem to have an obvious safety that I can see. I've used knives that have safeties that seem to be almost hidden in the area where the blades sit when closed and this one doesn't seem to have anything of the sort. Don't get me wrong, I know there's a way to close them and I know I'm overlooking it somehow, but I'm at a loss right now as far as what exactly is keeping it from folding.

-Alan

Bernie K 08-14-2006 09:54 PM

I don't know, but I am in the market for a good sailing knife -- anyone reading this thread have a favorite knife they have used that keeps a blade and is a good all-around sailing knife? Easy closing is a must :)

Bernie
\

Newport41 08-14-2006 11:08 PM

I've been there my friend. I was fooling around with it during a race after the wind dropped and I had finished and was waiting for a tow. Very frustrating. I had to get a friend to hold the knife and the safety while I used a screwdriver to push on the locking arm where the tools sit when they're folded in. Hope that helps, it was qhite the ordeal.

Tikiti 08-14-2006 11:35 PM

I've found that some knives have a "safety" feature that when more than one tool is opened you have to fold back one tool to the 90 degree position (it won't go any further) and then close the fully opened tool back at the same time as the half-opened tool. Don't know why this considered "safe" but it does seem to work. Give it a try.

Songlines82 08-15-2006 12:01 AM

Finally!!

Well, I was finally able to get all three tools closed after a lengthy process. I ended up having to get the shackler closed first (which took quite a toll on my hands, fortunately no blood loss :) ).

After closing the shackler I realized that I needed to open it to the 90 degree position (thanks for that suggestion or I probably wouldn't have gotten it). I then had to get the marlinespike to a 90 degree position as well to get the knife blade to move and eventually all 3 were able to be closed.

Thanks for the posts!

-Alan

sailingdog 08-15-2006 12:12 AM

The best sailing knife I've used is a Boye Cobalt Carbide rigging knife. Available in either sheepsfoot or safety style blades, either serrated or smooth, and with or without marlinspike.

What I really like about these knives is that they cut line, and cut line, and cut more line...they stay pretty sharp for a good long time, cut even the nasty synthetic lines and DON'T RUST.

Sasha_V 08-15-2006 12:23 AM

For really being user friendly, practical and cheap enouth that you do not cry too long if it goes overboard, I like the Gerber urban legend semi-serated. Small, but remarkably non-slip. Has a knife blade with thumb-opener and double sided safety release. It also has a pair of really useful scissors, that double as a marlin spike of sorts (or basically that pull-through tool that lets you splice cordage.)

I bought one, lost it and ended up buying eight so that they last me for decades after they go out of production.

My wife prefers a knife called a claw. It is a locknife with a crescent shaped blade that has its cutting edge on the inside of the crescent. Saw edged and very easy to open and use on handed, it makes emergency rope cutting (it can cut lifelines if you don't mind throwing it away soon after) an utter breeze and control is excellent. It even has one of those double safety clips on it, that lets it get clipped to waistband or shirt pocket...and not come undone until you grasp and squeeze it.

Sasha

Bernie K 08-17-2006 03:17 PM

Thanks Sailingdog and Sasha ---- will look at both options! Always good to hear from someone that is using something they like.

Bernie