Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-21-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
I can't speak for the USN but do note that the FAA requires crimps and bans soldered splices. Oddly enough, the USAF also used crimps, I spoke to a fellow who installs miles of harnesses in combat aircraft and he said they're also prohibited from soldering, he can install a hundred pounds of wiring and it is exclusively crimped.

So that's two sources of aviation specifications, both concerned with "oops, it fell down, went boom" who say solder is no good in wiring.

And I've seen USAF test data done in the late 60's, that indicated wire wrap (or almost anything else) was more reliable than soldering, based on actual lab testing of circuit boards and other assemblies. Even with lab-quality soldering, the soldered connections to boads simply FAILED more often than anything else--including wire wraps.

ABYC standards are not meant for "yachties" they are meant for the firms that build boats, i.e. professional boat builders and professional electricians in their employ. There's never a time or place where "yachties" would be concerned with meeting ABYC specs, except by personal choice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2006
Dyslexic, Not Daft !

jorjo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Apparently, Jorjo seems to think he knows more about boats and the proper wiring of them than the ABYC standards group. Yeah, right...

ABYC? Whats that? some yank thing ? Some irrelevent Standards group that has little or nothing to do with 99% of the world?

Heads up Dog. your just a sailorboy acting smart on a forum, thanks for your input but shut up till you know what your talking about,

The forum membership is international, the ABYC may be some big deal in your locality but its Nothing to me, I'm neither interested in it nor do I consider it of any signifigance.

You Americans May well crimp as a Norm. That still Does NOT make the practice Right. Nor does it put your in a position of Knowing anything of relevence beyond your Own countrys habits.

In short Dog Your a loud mouthed Yank a$$hole who'd sooner pick a fight than say something useful on an INTERNATIONAL forum.

GET YOUR HEAD ROUND THE FACT THAT YOUR YANK MENTALITY PREVENTS YOU REALISING THAT THERE IS A WHOLE WORLD OF COUNTRIES OUT THERE THAT ARE NOT INTERESTED IN YOUR CHEAP AND CHEERFULL MASSPRODUCTION METHODS and who would rather have quality and would sooner do the job right.

American standards are LOWER. You go crimp to your hearts content Dog..
and who knows... perhaps a SAIL through crimping station if market predictions showed a profit in it

You Guys go right ahead and debate it amoung yoursleves down there in Yanks ville, Meanwhile the rest of the world will continue to Solder when solder is needed
Old 08-21-2006

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Boy, some of you guys sure take it personal when someone disagrees with you.
Bottom line it's only a freakin bilge pump. There should be at least one other electric and at least two manual pumps in addition. Crimp, solder or twist the damn things together and dip em in silicone it's gonna work. When it stops working fix it. Sheesh.
Old 08-21-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Sailing Dog: Its that kind of condescending crap that definitely makes this site entertaining. But think about it like this. You got hammered from Hong Kong and the UK. That's worldwide condemnation!

Jojo: You need to calm down. Have you ever hard of spontaneous human combustion? You might just be a candidate Dude.

By the way, I use both the crimping technique and the solder sleeves. I like the sleeves when I am running through the bilge, etc.
Old 08-21-2006

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Jorjo, you not jumping on the "I hate America bandwagon" are you. Or have you been riding for awhile now.
Old 08-21-2006

NickL is on a distinguished road
I wonder what Capt. Bligh did, crimp or solder?
Old 08-21-2006

dave.verry is on a distinguished road
Interesting what some people get hot about. Yes, it is just a bilge pump and almost anyway will work. I have been known to cut corners in the past and do a quick repair in an inappropriate manner… and have almost always lived to regret it. I don’t know, maybe I’m just lazy, but I prefer to do a repair only once.

One says this is old, and therefore good..

The other says this is new, and therefore better...
Old 08-21-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead
Jorjo, you not jumping on the "I hate America bandwagon" are you. Or have you been riding for awhile now.
Jorjo is a founding member...and too dumb to realize that the ABYC is part of the ISO group that develops INTERNATIONAL standards for the marine industry.

Also, jorjo is probably too dumb to realize that bilge pumps have fairly long leads, that leave the connections well out of the bilge. There are connections that should be soldered...but the power leads to a submersible bilge pump aren't among them.

Surfesq— IMHO, I don't really see what Jorjo says as condemnation, since he doesn't have the IQ to understand what is really going on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 08-21-2006 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-21-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you are really interested in reading about crimped electrical connections, you might want to read the article here.

I don't know of any tests between crimped and soldered connections, in a marine environment, but soldered connection have a track record of a greater rate of failure than crimped connections, and in a marine environment, you really should be using only marine-grade tinned wire, as you can see from the article I mention above.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-21-2006

dave.verry is on a distinguished road
To ALL:

Since the US (us yanks) can't do specifications correctly:

From IEC60950 (A Europian Union specification on safety of power equipment)

— wires connected by soldering are not considered to be adequately fixed unless they
are held in place near to the termination, independently of the soldered connection;

One says this is old, and therefore good..

The other says this is new, and therefore better...