Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-21-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Joey, if you are going to solder the wires, adding a sloppily smashed crimp to the mix is just screwing around. It serves no purpose except to waste time and money and encourage the joint to fail by adding the weight of the crimp to it.

Better to just twist the wires together and solder them, then cover them over. Faster, cheaper, simpler, more reliable.

And while you can twist wires by hand, a lineman's dyke (plier) is the tool actually designed to do that.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2009
Mechsmith

Mechsmith is on a distinguished road
I always use some form of corrosion inhibiter on all crimped joints. Silicon dielectric compound seems to work well. My personal preference is for the commercial "Anti Seize", availiable at any auto parts store. Supposed to be good for 50 years in salt water. Stick the wire into it first then crimp. Electricians also use a similar compound when dealing with aluminum wire.

In some 25 years of experience I can say that the "Anti Seize" has never failed. No joint protected by it has ever failed, whether it be electrical or mechanical.
Old 07-26-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
well i use crimps and solder but i am weird. i use solder for big wires, as i dont have big crimpers. what i do heat the ring and fill it with solder, then i slightly tin the wire, just enough to get some flux on the wire, then i dip the wire into the hot solder and as soon as i see it penetrate the wire i take away the heat. then i use adhesive lined heat shrink to seal.
edit i have done big connections like this for 10 years, granted never on boats till a year or so ago. i have never had one fail, including on some pretty serious off road trucks that get plenty of vibration.

for small wire i use standard anchor crimps, not heat shrink ones. then i fill the ends of the crimps with liquid electric tape, let it dry, then apply another coat until i cant see the crimp anymore. i also coat the end of the sheath with the liquid tape to stop it from getting any moisture up inside the sheath

Last edited by scottyt; 07-26-2009 at 01:11 AM.
Old 07-26-2009

irwin325cc is on a distinguished road
I am in agreement with what dave.verry said. As a HVAC man I deal with wire connecters all the time and the worst tool you can use would be the very thin crimper/stripper you get at the hardware stores as those do a worse job than just a pair of needle nose pliers in my opinion. The ratchet type are good, I use a set that electricans use they look like a pair of dykes but have several diffrent crimp slots for diffrent sized wires/connectors and are like a 1/4" or more thick instead of those cheap ones that are like 1/8".
Adhesive shrink tape is a must also. Electric tape is a huge no no in the engine area as the heat and fumes will make nothing but an unraveling mess.
Has anyone tryed using the liquid electric tape? I'm curious as to how well/messy it is.
Old 07-26-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin325cc View Post
Has anyone tryed using the liquid electric tape? I'm curious as to how well/messy it is.
i just posted that i use it. it is messy if your not careful, but you can use the messy side of it to make sure you got everything covered. be prepared to wipe up the sticky little drip strings that will happen. just dont put it on too thick it will take too long to dry, multiple thin coats is the trick to it. takes longer than heat shrink, but i think its better at sealing, esp if you dont use adhesive lined heat shrink.

now heat shrink is better for physical protection but the plastic on the crimp is even better. in the long run i would say there is no difference in quality or longevity of a liquid tape or adhesive lined heat shrink. its what makes you feel better
Old 07-26-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Jeez, I thought this subject was finished. It makes an argument about religion seem tame.

Excellent tutorial on wire termination with pictures so jorjo can understand by Mainesail All About Marine Wire Termination Photo Gallery by Maine Sailing at pbase.com

Making battery cables also by Mainesail Making Your Own Battery Cables Photo Gallery by Maine Sailing at pbase.com

Wire size calculator - thanks Mainesail AWG by wire length/amps calculator

ABYC - segment of standards with wire ampacity table at bottom ABYC Wiring Standards

Link to a looong Sailnet thread on this very subject for those of you who would like to read more on this subject Crimping versus Soldering

Brian
Old 10-09-2012

fishermanjoe1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Advice, please on crimping wire connections...

Hey guys, what do you think is the best quality crimper... Im in the market and I would like to get a very good quality crimper for heat shrink connections... I pretty much just use heat shrink connectors... Thanks for any input
Old 10-09-2012

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Re: Advice, please on crimping wire connections...

Its all in this thread and the links.