Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-17-2007

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
I have only a speedo/log and fathometer. They are over twenty years old. They were also out in the weather for about 12 years while the boat was a boatyard queen.

When I refitted and re-commissioned, BOTH of them worked.

They were made by Signet Scientific, and I can still buy parts. Guess who gets my vote.

http://www.signetmarine.com/products..._Products.html

Last edited by Goodnewsboy; 01-17-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2007

I-33 is on a distinguished road
Raymarine ST40 Wind

I bought a Raymarine ST40 Wind instrument that failed when lightning stuck the boat 3 slips down from mine. I'm not blaming Ray for that though. While it was working, I liked the display, but could not get it calibrated well. I tried the procedure several times, and it always showed the apparent wind incorrectly on port tack. Oddly enough it seemed to be accurate on starboard tack. I don't know if I am going to replace this instrument or not. The wind speed is helpful, but I was always getting headed on port tack if I relied on the display. It is hard to beat the old reliable windex, although my ears are pretty good when I balance the wind on each side I know I'm facing right into the wind. My bimini is at the canvas shop right now getting a window installed above the helm. I may not know how fast it is blowing, but I will darn sure know where its coming from!
Old 01-17-2007

whisker is on a distinguished road
instruments

I have had all different brands of insturments, The major problem I have had is with the installers, If you have a good installer and a person who knows how to set them up , you will have good luck with the instruments, I have had one installer where I was back at the marina every week with a short ckt or open wire. The cost of installation is one of the factors you should consider when purchasing instruments. Qulaified people are hard to fine.
ski
Old 01-17-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisker
I have had all different brands of insturments, The major problem I have had is with the installers, If you have a good installer and a person who knows how to set them up , you will have good luck with the instruments, I have had one installer where I was back at the marina every week with a short ckt or open wire. The cost of installation is one of the factors you should consider when purchasing instruments. Qulaified people are hard to fine.
ski
That's one of the reasons I recommended the TackTick instrument line. Wiring and installation costs for it are minimal, compared to other systems. Adding additional displays is very simple as well. The wind instruments on the TackTick system do not require running any cable, as the masthead unit is solar powered, as are the displays—and they communicate wirelessly. The depth and speed units require some wiring, as the transducers require power and are wired to the hull transmitter base unit, which also requires power. However, no wires need to be run for the displays—making the installation one that most boat owners can handle with relative ease.

BTW, I don't work for TackTick, but have used their instruments on several boats I've sailed on. I'm planning on adding their equipment to my boat, when I get the chance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-17-2007

mjname is on a distinguished road
I have a SiTex GPS the old kind that only has read out of location, speed and direction. Its that old lcd screen that has an old data output on the back that is coaxial of sorts, pre-usb. It just keeps going. So I suggest SiTex, I don't know of their new equipment but they have intgrated systems that look promising but can't attest to anything new because the old one is still a work horse. I would guess it's over 10 years old from the previous boat owner.

Good luck and let us know what you decide and how it serves.

matthew
Old 01-18-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
I'm feeling pretty good about my 30 year old datamarine stuff with the vacuum tubes and a glowing wire thingy.
(the other tub has the raymarine, its worked since I've had it, 7 yrs, crossing fingers)

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 01-18-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiacpaul
I'm feeling pretty good about my 30 year old datamarine stuff with the vacuum tubes and a glowing wire thingy.
(the other tub has the raymarine, its worked since I've had it, 7 yrs, crossing fingers)
I know what you mean. I put in an Eagle fish finder on the nav station in '03 or so, but I left the old (early '70s) Seafarer 3 echo sounder (with the amazing orange pinwheel!) tucked in beside the VHF. It works and it doesn't draw when it isn't on...so why dump it?
Old 01-19-2007

mawm is on a distinguished road
Evening guys.
I would look to see if the instruments are NMEA 2000 compliant as well so you can get them to talk to each other.
I have a new ST4000 auto pilot - only NMEA 0183 compliant, and an older Lowrance Chart plotter/ depth guage/log that is NMEA 2000 compliant. Although I can set the Chart plotter to NMEA 0183 the instruments still will not talk. Talking to agents at the moment.

It is easy to fit the instruments, and local agents will help with advice, but it does take time and the need to be able to contort yourself.
Old 01-19-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
I am using 1-wire weather instruments. I like that they are all connected together with a single wire in a chain making wiring simple, and power is provided over the same wire as communication signals. I also like it because I can provide power to them directly and use a bluetooth module to talk back to my computer, that means that there is not a direct wired connection between my computer and a lightning rod on the mast. It is all serial and takes a bit of programming to make it work. Another thing I like about it is that I got a wind vane, anemometer, 2 humidity sensors, 2 temperature sensors, water level sensor, and interface for a total price of about 400$us TOTAL. Definitely not for everyone but appealed to my tinkering nature.
Old 01-19-2007

I-33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic
I am using 1-wire weather instruments. I like that they are all connected together with a single wire in a chain making wiring simple, and power is provided over the same wire as communication signals. I also like it because I can provide power to them directly and use a bluetooth module to talk back to my computer, that means that there is not a direct wired connection between my computer and a lightning rod on the mast. It is all serial and takes a bit of programming to make it work. Another thing I like about it is that I got a wind vane, anemometer, 2 humidity sensors, 2 temperature sensors, water level sensor, and interface for a total price of about 400$us TOTAL. Definitely not for everyone but appealed to my tinkering nature.
Can you provide us with the brand name, please. I, for one, would like to investigate this solution. Thanks.