Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-19-2007

jmunson2 is on a distinguished road
LOL!

I used to know a guy from Portugal - name's Francisco. The language barrier was quite interesting. He used to say "...running around like a chicken without a head..." English is so much fun at times.

I'd send a photo of my boat, but I don't own one. I just get to play on my brother's yachts...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Giulietta doesn't believe in fancy electronics and was just overwhelmed by the navigation instrument pod he saw at the binnacle of the s/v Acoustic...

He had a photo posted of himself with a sextant, wind-up chronometer and leadline earlier... maybe he can post it again.

Of course, the real reason is that he spent too much building the boat and can't afford electronics on it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-19-2007

LOL!

Personally, I am learning how to use a sextant (OK, the instrument part isn't that hard, BUT, what is hard is balancing on a moving deck and taking readings...lol!). The cost of the instrument is definitely a humdinger.

I am reading Barefoot Navigator, The Sextant Handbook, and Celestial Navigation For Yachtsman.

After reading an article in Cruising World concerning the difficulties of navigating in fog (the guy got totally confused and lost as he relied on his GPS), I was reminded of the need to have low-to-no-tech skills for navigation (and plain old common sense of course).

I appreciate the usefulness of the instruments. I am wary of them failing and thus leaving me high and dry. They have their uses and drawbacks.

We should all know how to navigate without those things.
Old 01-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Best and most important instrument... Mk. I Eyeball...
Second most important instrument... Compass
Third most important instrument... ears....

Your ears can tell you when the water is getting shallow, the wind has shifted, when other boats are approaching... especially in fog or at night, far better than your eyes often can.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 01-19-2007

I would probably put ears first. They're senstive to just about 360 degrees, whereas eyes are only good to about 180 and generally have to be pointed at the intended target to catch stuff. Would be a close 1st/2nd - probably a tie in reality. Wasn't there a blind sailor that went 'round the world?
Old 01-19-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Giulietta doesn't believe in fancy electronics and was just overwhelmed by the navigation instrument pod he saw at the binnacle of the s/v Acoustic...

He had a photo posted of himself with a sextant, wind-up chronometer and leadline earlier... maybe he can post it again.

Of course, the real reason is that he spent too much building the boat and can't afford electronics on it...

SD, I've been having problems with the sextant. The crew member that has it is hidding somewhere in my boat. I wonder why??

Old 01-19-2007
Telstar 28

The mask is definitely an improvement over the looks nature gave you Giulietta...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 01-19-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilHuguley
Can you provide us with the brand name, please. I, for one, would like to investigate this solution. Thanks.
Hello GilHuguley,

It's mostly weather underground, amateur weather station type stuff. We might be interested in weather information onboard our boats, but these amateur weather people are SERIOUS about it haha, so they have created a lot of really interesting solutions to problems. I've learned a lot just by reading some of their various projects. And as I said, I don't really need a plug and play kind of solution, I like to tinker.

http://www.fperkins.com/HowToSetupyo...erStation.html

I'm away on travel, when I get back I'll try to find something better to read about it.
Old 01-19-2007

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Guys

It's ok for some to not like electronics. Perhaps if Gui sailed in Maine and got to experience real 25 foot visibility he'd understand why my electronics including radar are where they are. Sometimes I can;t even see my anchor and someone has to be on the bow to tell where the lobster pots are and point me around them.

We have lobster buoys so thick you could walk across a bay on them and running to the nav station in 25 foot vis with lobster boats, viscious maine ledges and thick buoys is not going to work. You can't take your eyes or ears off the water for more than 10-15 seconds in a Maine fog. I actually prefer to sail regardless of the weather so for me having my plotter, radar, depth, wind & autopilot all within easy reach is perfect for me. My sextant, dividers & stop watch are stored below however and not at the helm. Oh yeah and I have one of those crazy RAM mics for my VHF at the helm too.. Yes I know I'm just such a crazy, crazy guy.....

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 01-19-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by halekai36
It's ok for some to not like electronics. Perhaps if Gui sailed in Maine and got to experience real 25 foot visibility.
Nahhh.....just ignore me, I don't sail at all....

Hey why you're holding a beer can in that photo???