SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   instruments (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/21718-instruments.html)

mugs 08-19-2006 11:09 PM

instruments

We are going to replace instruments on our sail boat this winter. We had been looking at nav man till I read a couple bad reviews yesterday. Any info and others experience appreciated. Thanks

sailingdog 08-20-2006 02:02 AM

Raymarine is either loved or hated...depending on your experience with them.

Navman seems to be a bad deal all around.

TackTick is pretty good, but a bit pricey and may have issues with longevity.

B&G, from what I know are pretty solid, but not so common in the US.

NASA, fairly low-end and only available in Europe AFAIK.

Personally, I'd go with either TackTick or Raymarine. TackTick will probably be a bit more money, but far easier to install. Raymarine will probably be tougher to install, but probably last far longer. YMMV, just my $.02 worth.

mugs 08-20-2006 09:46 PM

instruments

Has any one tried any wireless instruments, with any luck.

sailingdog 08-20-2006 10:18 PM

The TackTick instruments are wireless, and now standard equipment on several boat lines.

hughfraser 11-18-2006 12:09 AM

navman faulty

Quote:

Originally Posted by mugs
We are going to replace instruments on our sail boat this winter. We had been looking at nav man till I read a couple bad reviews yesterday. Any info and others experience appreciated. Thanks

Dont buy navman, I bought navman wind depth log just over a year ago, all now faulty and I'm going to replace them in a few weeks. Navman ignore my E-mails.
Hugh SY Scotia

PS Navman, I think are now going to replace all three instruments , if it happens Ill let you know. Hugh.'

catamount 11-18-2006 12:29 AM

Apparently Nexus announced some new wireless instruments at the Amsterdam Marine Equipment Trade Show this week. The mast head wind transducer will communicate wirelessly with the communications server, everything else will be wired. I was considering NX2 anyway, this may cinch the deal.

paulk 11-18-2006 11:28 PM

B&G seem fairly popular around here, so we're going to look at them. Maretron also has an interesting system with no moving parts to get fouled under the waterline or get chewed by cormorants above it. We want to find out more about Tacktick's non-replaceable batteries, and if that's a problem. We just had to replace a battery in our solar-powered vent, so we'd like assurances about how long the units hold up.

Rain Again 11-22-2006 07:26 AM

Tic Tac

Hi, I would second don't buy Navman, I have had a whole host of problems with their instruments ranging from fogging of the display (because all they have is a hole at the back and a note in the manual to always leave the back light on) though to log impeller being next to impossible to remove from the feedthrough because of poor plastic injection finishing. Hate to make life more difficult but I have a mate who has had an endless stream of Tic Tac instruments sent to him. When you get a transponder/receiver pair that work all seems fine but it took him two years to get there.

hughfraser 01-17-2007 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hughfraser
Dont buy navman, I bought navman wind depth log just over a year ago, all now faulty and I'm going to replace them in a few weeks. Navman ignore my E-mails.
Hugh SY Scotia

PS Navman, I think navman are now going to replace all three instruments , if it happens Ill let you know. Hugh.'

PPS still waiting for replacments from Navman and getting messed around, and missled. Looks as if its back to plan one, do without wind and log and buy a new depth sounder. Realy p**** off with NAVMAN. Hugh.

capecodphyllis 01-17-2007 08:49 PM

Boat instruments are about as sturdy as an Amercian lightbulb.

I use telltails and a handheld windspeed meter.

So far, I've had good luck with my Furuno Digital Depth & Temperature Sensor mounted in a navpod under the dodger. (I'll be happy to get a few trouble-free years out of it.) It sits next to a Furuno GPS that offers speed over ground and heading.

I also have a B&G knotmeter, but it doesn't work. It replaced the Raymarine knotmeter that didn't work, which was a replacement for the datamarine knotmeter that didn't work, which replaced... of well, I can't remember.