SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

New Rigging

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
I'm rigging my 31 foot "BRISE DE MER" aluminium 3ton displac. ballast (1 ton)sailing boat.
Can someone indicate me the reasonable size for forestay, shrouds (one set of spreaders), back stay?
Was thinking 5/16 for stay, 1/4 elsewhere. 316 19x1.
thank you.

#5 ·
Rigging wire

What benefits (or not) are there to rod rigging?

I had a 33 foot Petersen rigged with rod rigging but never kept the boat for long because I upgraded to a high volume 36 footer. I never had any trouble with the rod rigging but have heard tell that it needs to be "tuned" regularly, something I never did.

I've thought about using rods again. Any comments?

#6 ·
Rod rigging is stronger, lighter and presents less windage than traditional rigging. That said, it also has a nasty habit of failiing catastrophically, with little warning. Good rod rigging is wonderful, but also very difficult to do repairs on, especially in foreign waters with less advanced facilities.

If you're planning on going abroad with your boat, I would stick with conventional rigging. It is pretty easy to keep a length of 1x19 SS cable on board with the proper Sta-Lock fittings to adapt it to any piece that needs replacement. The length should be equal to the longest piece you might have to replace, often the backstay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.