What kind of finish is on this wood, how to remove it. - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-03-2015 Thread Starter

What kind of finish is on this wood, how to remove it.

I am trying to remove the wood protection from this boat. I am pretty sure it is cetol because the boats locker is full of old 1/2 used cans of cetol natural. However the different parts of the boat may have different treatments from different years.

I started trying to remove one side of the cockpit the other day and some portions of it just flaked off with the scraper, some of it did well with a heat gun and scraper and some only with a 6" random orbital sander. The first two pictures were of the side combing facing south and the wood was very wrecked and could be easily removed by just scraping then areas that got less sun needed more convincing.

This area is the other side of the combing and looks presentable because it is not the one directly facing the sun.

This is one of two hatches on board.

Besides the handrails going forward and the hatch and sliding rails that is the extend of topside brightwork on the boat. Right now I want to determine what kind of sealant is on the wood and the easy way to get it off, so we can start over with either cetol or teak oil.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-03-2015

Re: What kind of finish is on this wood, how to remove it.

Common methods are chemical stripper, heat gun, and sanding. You've tried two of these. When I stripped my varnished exterior teak two years ago, I used all three. First Citristrip which got most of the varnish off. Then a heat gun on the large spots that didn't get removed by the stripper. Finally a finish palm sander to get the last remaining bits off and smooth the surface.

I don't think it matters much if it's Cetol or varnish. Pretty much the same process. If you do use any stripper, don't forget to carefully wipe down the wood with paint thinner afterwards. If you don't you can expect problems when applying the new finish.

FWIW I recoated with Natural Teak Cetol and so far it's holding up well.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-03-2015

Whicever approach you use, I recommend this type of carbide scraper :

http://www.amazon.com/Bahco-Premium-Ergonomic-Carbide-Scraper/dp/B000288LP6
Because the scraper is pulled, rather than pushed, there is less tendency to gouge the wood.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #4 of 9 Old 10-04-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Common methods are chemical stripper, heat gun, and sanding. You've tried two of these.
Thanks Jim.

I did not do much work when trying. It was a wood and epoxy day and in between projects I did a little scraping and sanding just to see what would happen. Now that the serious wood work is out of the way I am on to the brightwork. I will start with citristrip.

Jordan
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-04-2015
al brazzi

Jim has it covered pretty well. I have learned Teak doesn't take well to finer sandpaper it just clogs up, what seems pretty aggressive at first is what you need 60 or 80 grit will remove the layers of worn out wood, from finishing and weather. Best to have the finish off first so you're only sanding wood.Teak has grains of softer fibers that weather differently from the grains of harder fibers. Actually removing some surface rather than just smoothing the harder fibers works for me.
Anything that can be removed will work infinitely better off the boat and a perfect opportunity to clean up the gelcoat while off. moat everything is just screwed on with plugs covering the screws, its easier than you might fear and you will get lots of suggestions if you choose to go that way.
Its no secret that I prefer oils to a hard finish right now I'm using Waterlox and it leaves a very dull almost sheen to the wood after three coats or so.
my current Boat has no wood that cant be removed for finishing including the cabin handrails, as much as I love wood I don't want any of it permanently attached to my Boat, but of course that rules out any of the classic designs (so sad). At least you're in Cali where the weather is always perfect.

Good luck AL
post #6 of 9 Old 10-04-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albrazzi View Post
At least you're in Cali where the weather is always perfect.

AL
Except today. Miramar airshow today and it's raining.

So for my wood
Strip it,
Paint thinner it
Blow dry it
Scrape it
Sand it
TSP it
Oxylic acid it.

Then I get to choose how to finish it?

No wonder those with pretty woodwork are so proud of it.

Jordan
Oceanside CA
post #7 of 9 Old 10-06-2015

I've had pretty good luck with chemical strippers, Aqua-Strip to be specific.

I've used this on teak as well as 1-part deck paint. It's not magic but if applied with the right thickness it does a good job. Additional time with the heatgun, scraper, or a second coat is helpful. It's thick enough to stick to vertical surfaces.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-06-2015

I used http://www.amazon.com/Zip-Strip-Finish-Remover-REMOVER/dp/B002KMC8ME and steel wool to remove a dozen layers or varnish, worked pretty good for me.

Gary
post #9 of 9 Old 10-08-2015

I used to swear I'd never go near my exterior teak with a belt sander because it can cut so fast. Then after screwing around with strippers, heat and various kinds of scarpers and my quarter-sheet Porter Cable, I picked up the belt sander. I was conservative with the grit, careful not to dig an edge in and to keep the tool moving. It worked fine. Remember, teak is really hard stuff. I got old epoxy + varnish off the teak cap rail and coaming of my 33-footer in a few hours. Just limit the use to flat-ish areas. Wear a respirator.
JV

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.