Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-26-2006

TXS-ALAMO is on a distinguished road
Switching head

My Rairitan PHII is leaking at the pump and has rust stains coming out of the housing. The cost of the rebuild kit is pretty high. I don't know whether to replace/rebuild or to just toss it and get another head. I have heard good things about the Lavac heads. Does anyone have an opinion about sticking with the Raritan or going with the Lavac? Silly me! On this site, everyone has an opinion; that's what the site is for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2006

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXS-ALAMO
Silly me! On this site, everyone has an opinion; that's what the site is for!
You can say that again. Here's mine.
I've rebuilt my head a couple times. The result is usually satisfactory but shortlived.
The next time I think I will just replace the whole thing including hoses, and then, make sure it's never used.
I don't remember how much the kits cost in the past, and I don't know what they cost now. I don't even know what model I would purchase. I just know that it is a miserable job that I didn't enjoy,(not that I relish the thought of removing and reinstalling either).
Others will no doubt have had a different experience, (pehaps my head was of poor quality to begin with). I know that some brands are terribly expensive and it would be foolish not to rebuild something of quality.
Old 08-26-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're going to go with replacing the head... I would switch to the Lavac units. They seem to have far fewer problems than other heads and if you're switching out the head anyways, it might make sense to use the opportunity to upgrade to a Lavac. Do not get the electric Lavacs, as they seem to have a lot of problems that aren't seen with the manual units.

Having a head on the boat that isn't usuable is fairly pointless., especially if you have the fairer sex aboard.

I would replace all of the hoses with Odor-Safe hose as well. I would probably go make the head/holding tank system capable of pumping out to the ocean via the thruhull, provided you do ocean passages on your boat.
This last step is not necessary if you do not do ocean passages.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-26-2006

mike dryver is on a distinguished road
hi all!!!
i didn't think $309+change was cheap for a new raritan ph2 what ever the letters and nos are. i just replaced my old 1979 raritan with a new one because the electric pump seized up. it was put on by a prev. owner. anyway the new head works great per the admiral. i was going to get a rebuild kit for the whole old head (head and pump sys.) but the admiral said no. why don't rebuilds work for the old heads? what am i missing in the contexts here? if you replace what moves? and the seals all things being equal the rebuild should work as new or there abouts. no?
regards mike
Old 08-26-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike dryver
hi all!!!
i didn't think $309+change was cheap for a new raritan ph2 what ever the letters and nos are. i just replaced my old 1979 raritan with a new one because the electric pump seized up. it was put on by a prev. owner. anyway the new head works great per the admiral. i was going to get a rebuild kit for the whole old head (head and pump sys.) but the admiral said no. why don't rebuilds work for the old heads? what am i missing in the contexts here? if you replace what moves? and the seals all things being equal the rebuild should work as new or there abouts. no?
regards mike
Generally the work involved in doing a complete re-build, and the amount of money spent, is not much less than simply replacing the head. Many people choose the spent the slight difference, and not have to open up the old head, and deal with the contents therein.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 08-26-2006

mike dryver is on a distinguished road
p.s. on last post. the reason i replaced the head was because the admiral was going to be at the boat at 4:30 pm. and at 2:00 pm i was in Me. at the supplier and could not get the head pump or head i needed, went toward home and my son, son's are great they make you think when you don't want to stopped at west marine portsmouth and they had rebuild kits for $58+- or a new head for $309. the admiral said she wanted the head working by the time she got there. new head finished 1 min. no joke before she called from the dock to get her. i will tell you i like the way the new one works verses the old you can pump it dry verses the old one.
anyway my 2cnts worth mike
Old 08-26-2006
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike dryver
p.s. on last post. the reason i replaced the head was because the admiral was going to be at the boat at 4:30 pm. and at 2:00 pm i was in Me. at the supplier and could not get the head pump or head i needed, went toward home and my son, son's are great they make you think when you don't want to stopped at west marine portsmouth and they had rebuild kits for $58+- or a new head for $309. the admiral said she wanted the head working by the time she got there. new head finished 1 min. no joke before she called from the dock to get her. i will tell you i like the way the new one works verses the old you can pump it dry verses the old one.
anyway my 2cnts worth mike
LOL, You owe your son big time... smart boy... I guess he takes after the Admiral.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 08-26-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
LOL too!
Just a point of information...For the PHII...you can get the partial rebuild kit for $40-60 which lets you fix SOME things (not shaft seals for example), or you can buy the complete pump assembly (everything but the bowl) for about $160 at Defender (I imagine they would honor that price here as well). West wants about $250 for the same assembly. You don't have to pay $300+ for a whole new head if the bowl is in good shape.
Old 08-27-2006

geary126 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I just went through this. My friend Jeff had the same issue a week before, too. He bought the rebuild kit, and that didn't work, so then he went back to West and purchased a new head. Lost 3 hours plus 60$. So just cut to the chase, and bought a new Jabasco. So cheap, I can do it again in 2 years, plus possibility of easy upgrade to electric.

This was a no brainer. probably the only substantive thing one can do to a boat for less than $150.
Old 08-27-2006

sailandoar is on a distinguished road
Lavac !!!

James Baldwin (Two times circumnavigator): "The Foolproof Head"

Read Article: => http://www.sailnet.com/collections/a...eid=baldwi0013

http://www.lavac.com/

Since 1963, The Lavac Toilet has been a favorite with sailors throughout the world, providing their owners with long and trouble free use. The Lavac toilet is one of the simplest marine toilets to operate and requires virtually no maintenance.

What makes The Lavac better??? The patented vacuum flushing system has not been equaled by any other marine toilet manufacturer. After use, close the Lavac seat and lid and then pull the handle a few times. As waste is pumped out a vacuum is formed which draws in the flushing water. Wait a few seconds and the vacuum breaks. It's that simple. The only moving part in the Lavac is the diaphragm within the detached heavy duty pump.

The Lavac Toilet is available in two different models with four different pump configurations:

marine toilet Lavac Zenith Toilet
marine toilets Lavac Popular Toilet
lavac toilet Lavac T/A Pump (Surface mounted)
lavac toilets Lavac U/D Pump (Behind the bulkhead mounted)
marine toilet Lavac 12 Volt Electric Pump
marine toilets Lavac 24 Volt Electric Pump

Are you tired of repairing your marine toilet??? Then it is time to throw the old thing overboard (not literally) and replace it with a Lavac. The most reliable and dependable marine toilet on the market today.

I have known two people that have given up and gotten rid of Lavac's. One didn't understand the elegant simplicity and neither did the mechanic going through his systems so they pulled them out. DUMB! The second person I have yet to interview and he should know better. Some of the most respected sailors and NA's reccomend them. I am a big fan!!

Last edited by sailandoar; 08-27-2006 at 04:47 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.