Please ID this fitting - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-18-2015 Thread Starter
s/v Passport, Bianca 111

Please ID this fitting

This is a picture of the deck fill on a Danish made Bianca. I should have also taken a picture of the inside but its basically a half thread so you just turn these 1/2 turn to close.

I need gaskets and now I need a new plug as one just cracked. I have never seen these before and need help identifying who the manufacturer is and/or who makes parts. Used ones would be fine too.
Attached Thumbnails
tank fill fitting.jpg  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-18-2015
Just another Moderator

Re: Please ID this fitting

What year is the boat? That manufacturer may well be out of business.. is that a polar bear or? on the logo?

I think I'd take the original to a machine shop and have them spec it out (ie identify the thread at least) so that they might recreate it or give you enough info to find a compatible replacement.

In the end, though, it may make more sense to replace the whole thing.. they seem to be readily available for under $100.

http://www.go2marine.com/category/11...aps-fills.html

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 10-18-2015 at 12:49 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-18-2015
Master Mariner

I assume you are referring to the o-ring that goes on this cap? O-rings are pretty standardized and you shouldn't have a lot of trouble coming up with one to fit it at an industrial tool and parts supplier. Even your local auto parts store might have what you need.
If, on the other hand it is a cork or fiber gasket you need, both the above mentioned stores should sell gasket material from which you can make a replacement very easily.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 10-18-2015

Huge selection of "O" rings at Home Depot.

Good luck,

Gary
post #5 of 10 Old 10-18-2015
Just another Moderator

.. but he also said the cap is cracked... agree the oring is the easy part.

Ron

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
post #6 of 10 Old 10-18-2015

had the same one on my Soverel 33 fuel tank and tried to identify it. never did. takes a special square o ring and could not find one so I changed the the entire fitting.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #7 of 10 Old 10-18-2015 Thread Starter
s/v Passport, Bianca 111

Thanks for all the replies. At first it was just the gasket that I needed. It was very difficult to replicate but did ok with some sheet rubber from McMaster. The original was a very soft "rubber" or maybe neoprene. It was about 1/8" thick and a 1/4" wide.

Now, as Faster said, the actual plug (center bit) cracked.

There are not threads per se. Just a plastic tang on each side that slope around on an angle (single thread of sorts) and that is received by the metal deck fitting which as a metal lip on the inner edge with two slots.

The closest I found found was on RigRites site Amiot Deck Fills. These Amiot look very similar but have threads where mine do not.

Yes I think its a walking Polar Bear.

I would very much like to keep the original fittings.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-18-2015

The cracked plug can probably be welded/repaired by a good metal working 'welder-artist'.

The 8-point (only 6 points are triangular, 2 are square) winch handle recess is probably poor design in that its possible to have only 2 of the triangular points in contact with the 'business end' of a winch handle. With only two points engaged it would be very easy to apply too much torque to 'cap' .... crack!
Id be sure that any winch handle is ONLY in full 4-point contact with this deck fill plug, not just 2 which is quite possible with this design.

O-rings are a dime a dozen from the internet. Measure the OD and ID of the O-ring recess in the 'housing' measure the apparent diameter of cross section of the O-ring .... all to the closest 0.003-0.005 inches or metric equivalent
Id recommend VITON o-rings, as with so-called bio-fuels, especially those made with 'reclaimed' cooking oil (sometimes added to 'regular' fuels by unscrupulous marketeers), as Neoprene/BunaN will soften, swell and grossly distort in contact with such 'bio-fuels'. You want the softness of the O-ring in the range of 50-70 'durometer'.
Try Amazon; if not, then McMaster-Carr, or a Parker O-ring distributor.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=zfbrpo --> multipurpose --> Viton

Last edited by RichH; 10-18-2015 at 07:19 PM.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-18-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post

The 8-point (only 6 points are triangular, 2 are square) winch handle recess is probably poor design in that its possible to have only 2 of the triangular points in contact with the 'business end' of a winch handle. With only two points engaged it would be very easy to apply too much torque to 'cap' .... crack!
Id be sure that any winch handle is ONLY in full 4-point contact with this deck fill plug, not just 2 which is quite possible with this design.
Yes, that recess had me scratching my head. Not that I can claim to have seen a huge number of deck fills, but I've never seen anything like that, nor can I think why it was made that way unless to allow several types of "tools" to turn it.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-18-2015
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
The cracked plug can probably be welded/repaired by a good metal working 'welder-artist'.
Looks to me like the plug is plastic or nylon?

Ron

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.