Fiberglass questions- Catalina 25 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-19-2015 Thread Starter

Fiberglass questions- Catalina 25

I just purchased and brought home a Catalina 25 swing keel last week. Started really going over her and pulling her apart to see what she needs.

I have two fiberglass questions:

1. I notice cracks in the fiberglass near the base of the bow pulpit. Are these acceptable/normal or should I do repair?

2. It appears the keel trunk is "disconnected" (for lack of a better term) around its whole perimeter. Is this something I should be concerned about?

First is the keel trunk. Next two are the bow pulpit.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0030.jpg   IMAG0042.jpg   IMAG0041.jpg  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-19-2015
Just another Moderator

Re: Fiberglass questions- Catalina 25

The gel coat crazing around the pulpit bases looks typical and should not be a huge concern.. however the cracking around the centerboard trunk looks pretty bad.. more pics?

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 13 Old 10-19-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
The gel coat crazing around the pulpit bases looks typical and should not be a huge concern.. however the cracking around the centerboard trunk looks pretty bad.. more pics?
Ditto, the crazing looks just like my Catalina 22 and I would consider that mostly cosmetic.

That thing around the swing keel looks...odd. Maybe bad. Was the boat floating when you bought it?

Agreed, more pictures would help.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #4 of 13 Old 10-26-2015 Thread Starter

Thank you for the input. Took me awhile to get back in there to get additional pictures.

The keel trunk has absolutely no movement in it.

The boat is on the hard for the winter. Was not in the water when I looked at her.

In order:
  • Starboard side. Forward corner. I believe this is where the pin is attached. This is the view that is most concerning to me.
  • Port side
  • Starboard side
  • Top/forward view
  • Starboard aft corner
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0057.jpg   IMAG0049.jpg   IMAG0052.jpg   IMAG0056.jpg   IMAG0051.jpg  

post #5 of 13 Old 10-26-2015

This is the link to the Catalina 25 owners' forum. Association Forum You should ask this question there. Those guys know how to repair anything that is capable of being repaired on a Catalina 25, including the keel trunk, and can give you an informed opinion on the condition, as well as advice on how to fix it.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-26-2015 Thread Starter

I am on that site daily. Lol I have tried to register but am getting no response from anyone there. Kind of frustrating....
post #7 of 13 Old 10-26-2015

SailboatOwners has an active Catalina section too:
Catalinas 18' to 25'

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #8 of 13 Old 10-26-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffy97 View Post
I am on that site daily. Lol I have tried to register but am getting no response from anyone there. Kind of frustrating....
If you're referring to registering your boat on the list of owners, you have to be patient. The folks who run the website are all unpaid volunteers, and they update the list of registered boats infrequently.

Nevertheless, you don't need to be a dues paying member to ask questions on the forum, and you can enroll for free and start asking questions on the forum in a matter of minutes. Most questions start getting responses within minutes or hours.

They also have a "Tech Tips" section. The following link is to a tech tip on repairing the keel trunk. Catalina - Capri - 25s International Association

Last edited by Sailormon6; 10-26-2015 at 02:04 PM.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-26-2015

The cracks around the stanchions are common, anywhere the fibreglass is repeatedly stressed. The gelcoat is not as flexible as the fibreglass underneath, and eventually cracks.

To repair this properly : remove the stanchion base, and check that the core is dry. Enlarge the cracks in a V with the corner of a scraper or sharp knife. Fill with gelcoat. Next, to make sure the core stays dry, overdrill the mounting holes, fill with thickened epoxy, then re-drill. Finally, assemble with new sealant.

Around the centreboard box, it looks like repeated flexing has cracked the gelcoat. The cracks might extend into the fibreglass. Grind the gelcoat away, make sure you are down to solid fibreglass, then stiffen the area with more glass and epoxy, then gelcoat over.

EDIT : Looked at the new pics, the cracking looks pretty trivial and probably only affects the gelcoat. The fix above would be a lot of work, and I'm not sure it's needed.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay

Last edited by MarkSF; 10-26-2015 at 03:17 PM.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-26-2015
Senior Moment Member

I disagree about the cracking around the keel trunk - the pics show a lot of "white" fiber in the glass - that is a sign of failing glass - delamination if you will - caused by the glass being overstressed.

The crazing around the pulpit bases is merely cosmetic.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.