Crewsaver Inflatable with Harness? - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 10-27-2015 Thread Starter

Crewsaver Inflatable with Harness?

Anybody own or wear a Crewsaver Inflatble PFD? Specifically interested in this one ErgoFit 190N CS | Crewsaver

The only other company I could find that makes anything comparable is Spinlock, but they are $200-$300 more than the Crewsaver and don't really seem to have any more features.

The crewsaver is only $180 on Amazon. I'm hesitant to buy because I could find very little feedback.

Thanks,
Austin

"May the fulfillment come from the journey, not the destination"

Mike Carter

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

Mark Twain
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-28-2015

Re: Crewsaver Inflatable with Harness?

looks like a spinlock clone. Remember these are not USCG approved devices . how hard will it be to get a recharge kit for it?

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"FULL TILT" SOVEREL 33
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #3 of 16 Old 10-28-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
looks like a spinlock clone. Remember these are not USCG approved devices . how hard will it be to get a recharge kit for it?
Thanks for the reply. I have plenty of USCG approved flotation on my boat so that is not a concern, and I haven't seen anything USCG approved that compares to the Spinlock and Crewsaver vest/ harness. When I first started looking I wanted to get a Mustang, because I already have one (basic non-harness inflatable) and then I could have two vests that use the same recharge kit, but Mustang's version with a harness doesn't seem to be anything special, only difference I see is it has D-Rings. I can't see getting any kind of harness without leg straps. Aside from that I would like to have some storage on it (PLB, Knife, Strobe, etc...) and the Mustang's have none, there is just enough room for a strobe and whistle inside my regular inflatable, and no attachment points at all on the outside.

Availability for the crewsaver may be an issue. Doesn't seem they are stocked in the US, so an order would take quite a while to get and I assume that unless I can find an interchangeable recharge kit in the US I'll be waiting a while for that too. One advantage is the recharge kits are relatively cheap (<$40). So I would probably order a couple extras right away. It may be worth a few hundred for increased availability and customer support....

Austin

Last edited by acarter92; 10-28-2015 at 01:08 PM.
post #4 of 16 Old 10-28-2015
Closet Powerboater

I've done a lot of research for the perfect jacket and actually have built my own. The crewsaver line looks like the best to me. I didn't pull the trigger on buying one, but might still do so. If you end up getting one, let us know what you think.

I'm leery of spinlock after the incident in California where 4 crew with spinlock vests ended up in the water and all 4 of them had the bladder shift to the side as their heads slipped through. One drowned. Their bladder is not bonded to the jacket all the way around the neck.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old 10-28-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
I've done a lot of research for the perfect jacket and actually have built my own. The crewsaver line looks like the best to me. I didn't pull the trigger on buying one, but might still do so. If you end up getting one, let us know what you think.

I'm leery of spinlock after the incident in California where 4 crew with spinlock vests ended up in the water and all 4 of them had the bladder shift to the side as their heads slipped through. One drowned. Their bladder is not bonded to the jacket all the way around the neck.

MedSailor

What did you end up making?

Mike Carter

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

Mark Twain
post #6 of 16 Old 10-28-2015

We saw these at the Annapolis show and liked them enough we ordered one for my wife. The one we ordered was the Crewfit 40 Pro auto with d-rings on it. Still waiting for shipment. It's a new model and won't ship for a while yet. The Crewfit 40 should be USCG rated as class 2 and 5 while the one you are looking at is ISO rated, has the leg straps, and looks a little more substantial. Buoyancy specs seem to be about the same. We bought it because it looked to be well made and fit was excellent, way more comfortable than the West marine auto vest I have. The guy at the show told me that the rearm kit is not made by them and should be available elsewhere, as well. It looked the same to me as the kit on my West marine vest.

Last edited by sesmith; 10-28-2015 at 11:38 PM.
post #7 of 16 Old 10-29-2015
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarter92 View Post
What did you end up making?
I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 Old 10-30-2015
Closet Powerboater

This is a Stearns SAR type III vest. The main modification I did was remove the middle nylon strap and buckle and install a strength rated length of webbing and 2 D-rings and strap adjusters from Sailrite.com to make an integral harness. No sewing required. I also figure that if I take a fall onto this harness the padding of the jacket will protect my ribs.

The jacket has some nice features like hand warmer pockets and 6 cargo pockets. You can load this thing up with flares, radio, whistle & mirror (it came with these), etc etc. It also has a nice high, padded neck that is fleece lined. It really adds to the warmth on cold windy days in the Pacific NW. It also has easy to deploy crotch straps built in, which is nice. West marine now sells something similar to this for a fraction of the cost under their own name brand, BTW.

What I do keep packed flat and stashed in the zippered pockets is, the whistle and mirror, a spray hood, which I purchased separately at landfallnavigation.com and a safety sausage by XS. All of these items fold flat and stow away so that you would never know they're there.

I think the safety sausage is something that more people should consider carrying. This one, which is small, cheap and well built, can also be folded into the bladder/horseshoe of an inflatable PFD. In the SCUBA diving world they are called "surface marker buoys" and they're to signal the dive boat to come get the scuba diver that has just surfaced. They work quite well and strobes and ribbons can be attached to the top grommet. You see, SCUBA divers intentionally go overboard and require "rescue" by their boat as a matter of course. They've done quite a bit of research on how to do it. Basically, this is your own man overboard pole that you always have with you.

MedSailor
smackdaddy likes this.

Last edited by MedSailor; 10-30-2015 at 07:28 PM.
post #9 of 16 Old 11-21-2015 Thread Starter

Medsailor: Thanks for the follow up.... I like your setup, and for the cooler months I think that would be a great alternative. Actually for the cost, I'm thinking of setting one up like yours as a backup. But, I don't think I want it as a primary, I work offshore in the oilfield for a living and spend many hours in a work vest that covers about the same amount of body area as that vest and well... I sweat a lot! So I want something coolor for the summer, and I also like being able to sit down and not have the life vest hitting the backrest (one of my favorite things about inflatables).

So, that being said. I think I've decided on the Spinlock Deckvest, simply for the fact that it's actually available in the US without waiting a month+ for shipping. I'm just having issues deciding if I want the Pro-Sensor (paper capsul) or the Hammer (hydrostatic). The "pro sensor" is about $30 cheaper initially, but the refill kits are about $40 compared to $90 for the hydrostatic. So I'm wondering how likely a accidental inflation is if I don't spend the money for hydrostatic, I take some pretty heavy spray sometimes and have concerns. Also, it seems like all the hydrostatic refill kits look the same, are they interchangeable? The hydrostatic refill for my mustang vest is about $55 compared to the $90 for spinlock, and the mustang is much easier to find.

Thanks,
Austin

Mike Carter

Mark Twain
post #10 of 16 Old 11-21-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post

This is a Stearns SAR type III vest. The main modification I did was remove the middle nylon strap and buckle and install a strength rated length of webbing and 2 D-rings and strap adjusters from Sailrite.com to make an integral harness. No sewing required. I also figure that if I take a fall onto this harness the padding of the jacket will protect my ribs.

The jacket has some nice features like hand warmer pockets and 6 cargo pockets. You can load this thing up with flares, radio, whistle & mirror (it came with these), etc etc. It also has a nice high, padded neck that is fleece lined. It really adds to the warmth on cold windy days in the Pacific NW. It also has easy to deploy crotch straps built in, which is nice. West marine now sells something similar to this for a fraction of the cost under their own name brand, BTW.

What I do keep packed flat and stashed in the zippered pockets is, the whistle and mirror, a spray hood, which I purchased separately at landfallnavigation.com and a safety sausage by XS. All of these items fold flat and stow away so that you would never know they're there.

I think the safety sausage is something that more people should consider carrying. This one, which is small, cheap and well built, can also be folded into the bladder/horseshoe of an inflatable PFD. In the SCUBA diving world they are called "surface marker buoys" and they're to signal the dive boat to come get the scuba diver that has just surfaced. They work quite well and strobes and ribbons can be attached to the top grommet. You see, SCUBA divers intentionally go overboard and require "rescue" by their boat as a matter of course. They've done quite a bit of research on how to do it. Basically, this is your own man overboard pole that you always have with you.

MedSailor
This tube thing is an interesting concept. I can see how it works in a pool, as the lady demonstrates, but I am not so sure in high winds and waves. I doubt it would stay vertical for much of the time.

But that got me thinking: showing another blob of color would not be a bad thing in that situation. If you have to blow up this thing anyway, why not pack a nice red party balloon in your vest? Even smaller, and 25 cents vs 25 dollars...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.