What is the best tablet CASE? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-03-2015 Thread Starter

What is the best tablet CASE?

Now that OpenCPN is available for Android, I dipped my toes into the tablet world. I invested a whopping $50.- (shipped with tax) into a 9" tablet and I am very impressed by the hardware. Another investment of $9.95 on the playstore gave me OpenCPN. It installed without a glitch and it interfaces beautifully with my Vesper AIS so now I have a wireless chartplotter for less than $60.- !

And no, I don't rely on it entirely, or even mainly at this point. I do have paper charts, plus another 'real' chartplotter though the latter is about a hundred years old. Right now the tablet is gravy, but a nice one!

Anyway, what I need now is to make this usable in the cockpit in less than perfect weather condition. There is a thread about cases for IPads
here Mounting & Waterproofing Ipad but (a) it is about IPads which I have no interest in, and (b) the latest post is from 2012 which is a lifetime ago in consumer electronics

So, does anyone have recommendations for tablet cases, with the following rough specs?

-- for 9" tablet (I have an Irulu if it makes a difference)
-- waterproof
-- full use of touch screen (obviously)
-- some protection against impacts would be nice
-- if charging were possible in the case it would be nice, too
-- if it did not exceed the cost of the tablet it would be even nicer

Thanks!

Last edited by MastUndSchotbruch; 11-03-2015 at 11:08 AM. Reason: damned typos
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-03-2015
Boat Bum

Re: What is the best tablet CASE?

No wife, no kids, no debt.

Last edited by sharkbait; 02-01-2016 at 09:00 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-04-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
Gallon ziplock baggie works for my samsung 10.1
Surely fulfills the 'cost' constraint

Not so sure about all the others, though...

post #4 of 14 Old 11-04-2015
Boat Bum

No wife, no kids, no debt.

Last edited by sharkbait; 02-01-2016 at 08:59 PM.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-04-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
Its also waterproof and you can use the touch screen
Touch'e!

(and it also fits the size requirement, to be entirely fair)

One thing I am a bit nervous about is the reliability of fulfilling the waterproofing constraint. A zip lock protects a sandwich quite nicely but would I trust that it protects electronic equipment in pouring rain and spray, while it is being actively handled?
post #6 of 14 Old 11-04-2015

I use a ziplock to keep spray off of my old ipod touch (which I use for music aboard).

I found that the real issue with using a ziplock to keep it dry is that it does not breath. Any moisture in the bag is trapped in there with your electronics. Just let it sit in the sun for a while and you will see evidence of that. Now I just leave the top of the bag open and try to leave it where it wont take a direct hit. (it is significant that I consider that old ipod disposable!)

Lifeproof and Otterbox are both very good cases but I've never heard of Irulu (until now) and dont know if either company makes a case for it (sort of doubt it)

how about an inexpensive silicone case (I see a few on amazon for ~$10) and place that inside a ziplock? that will give you some shock protection and some spray protection.

BTW how is the GPS on that Irulu?

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
post #7 of 14 Old 11-04-2015

A good case would cost as much as your tablet. I doubt someone manufactures a high quality waterproof case for a $50 tablet. Buy the best silicone or soft plastic case you can and then use a ziplock for spray protection. Even if I had the best case I would not have my pad full time in the cockpit if the weather was snotty.

Sea Line makes a padded dry bag to fit tablets. I picked one up and it's nice for my full sized Ipad.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-04-2015
Old enough to know better

Thing is with no name brand equipment is there are no or little supplementary accessories. There are lots of "zip lock" bags for universal tablet storage on Amazon, basically like a scuba dry bag. They are much thicker than a normal Zip lock and have either a plastic backed closing method, or a multiple heavy duty zip type closure. Kind of like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Blue-Waterproof-Tablet-Pouch/dp/B00ABUS7OU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1446670560&sr=8-6&keywords=tablet+waterproof+case
note I have not tried this one, so I cannot advise. I have a similar one for a phone that I liked.

By the way you don't need to pay for OPEN CPN for android. But it is a convenient package that someone came up with, seems to take some of the hassle out of the install.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
The Following User Says Thank You to miatapaul For This Useful Post:
bristol299bob (11-05-2015)
post #9 of 14 Old 11-04-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol299bob View Post
I use a ziplock to keep spray off of my old ipod touch (which I use for music aboard).

I found that the real issue with using a ziplock to keep it dry is that it does not breath. Any moisture in the bag is trapped in there with your electronics. Just let it sit in the sun for a while and you will see evidence of that.

I see what you are saying. But wouldn't that be a problem with every waterproof case
?

Now I just leave the top of the bag open and try to leave it where it wont take a direct hit. (it is significant that I consider that old ipod disposable!)

Lifeproof and Otterbox are both very good cases but I've never heard of Irulu (until now) and dont know if either company makes a case for it (sort of doubt it)

Me too.

how about an inexpensive silicone case (I see a few on amazon for ~$10) and place that inside a ziplock? that will give you some shock protection and some spray protection.

OK, I guess that is the information that I came for ('told you I am brand-new to this tablet world!). I will look for 'silicone cases' on Amazon. Thanks!

BTW how is the GPS on that Irulu?

Well, OpenCPN says it sees the internal GPS. But I don't really use it, I have a black-box AIS that transmits location information (and of course AIS) via wifi. That is what I use and it works great.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-04-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
A good case would cost as much as your tablet. I doubt someone manufactures a high quality waterproof case for a $50 tablet. Buy the best silicone or soft plastic case you can and then use a ziplock for spray protection. Even if I had the best case I would not have my pad full time in the cockpit if the weather was snotty.

Sea Line makes a padded dry bag to fit tablets. I picked one up and it's nice for my full sized Ipad.
Hm, I looked at the SealLINE web page (is that what you mean? 'Sea Line' brought up nothing close) and they have either dry bags (real bags, and not transparent) or map pouches SealLine® Map Case. Perhaps the latter might work for a tablet.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.