SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   "New Horizon" 26 1962 ?? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/2260-%22new-horizon%22-26-1962-a.html)

RobGallagher 09-22-2001 08:11 AM

"New Horizon" 26 1962 ??

A buddy of mine just picked up a 1962 "New Horizon" The boat is 26 ft, sloop rigged, inboard gas motor (unknown horsepower). The price was so low I was a afraid to see what condition the boat would be in. It needs alot of cosmetic work and at the very least new running rigging but the motor starts right up and the boat is so dry it has no bilge pump!

The problem is I can''t find any information on the internet about this boat. I have tried all the sailing sights that I know of and every search engine I can think of.

I would be thankful for any information!

trek1200 11-16-2007 10:27 AM

New Horizon

I saw your thread on sailnet whilst trying to do some research for my own New Horizon 26. My boat is a 1959 fiberglass hulled 26ft ugly betty. I mean it really is pretty unattractive, however, the price was right for me. I paid 250 dollars for it , but it floats, has no holes, 2 sets of mains and 3 jibs, all in decent shape. I have run into the same problem that you have in terms of finding information about the boat or the company. from what I can tell, the New horizon boat company went out of business sometime in the late sixties or early seventies. In response the the comment you made about the horsepower of the motor, the two other New horizons that I've been able to track down had a 4 cyl Atomic diesel that produces around 30 HP. if you have any more questions or have any info you wouldn't mind sharing with me. please feel free to contact me.
Cheers

sailingdog 11-16-2007 10:33 AM

Trek1200-

It is very unlikely that they're still looking for any info, since the thread you replied to is over six years old. Please don't revive dead threads, as it is considered poor net etiquette.

SailorMitch 11-16-2007 02:41 PM

Dawg -- While I generally agree with your thoughts about old threads, I'd cut this guy some slack because the New Horizon is not very well known. It was designed in 1957 by S&S for the Ray Greene & Company as one of the first auxiliary powered sailboats made from fiberglass. Greene is usually credited as the first person to build a fiberglass boat. The New Horizon sold rather poorly at first and is over shadowed in fiberglass sailboat lore by the Pearson Triton, which was introduced at the 1959 New York Boat Show. The Pearson cousins sold something like 19 Tritons at that show and were off and running in the fiberglass boat industry. The New Horizon continued on, but Greene got mad at S&S when they designed a very similar 27 footer 3 years later for Douglas & McLeod that came to be known as the Tartan 27 . The larger Tartan was more popular than the New Horizon.

Source of all this is Dan Spurr's terrific book "Heart of Glass", which is the history of fiberglass boats and the men who made them. I refer to my copy quite often.

trek1200 11-17-2007 01:15 PM

Any ideas

Mitch,
Thanks for the info. I just went on Amazon and purchased "Heart of Glass," hopefully that should have a few more answers. Do you by chance know if there are any other good sources of info for the ugly step-sister of a vessel that I'm hoping to polish? literally anything will help, from parts to groups, to anything? Thanks again. Happy trails.

dlongendyke 11-18-2007 09:22 AM

Hey I used to own and live on a New Horizon while I finished college in the early 70s. I spent two years after graduating sailing the florida keys on it. It sailed great.

seabreeze_97 11-18-2007 02:11 PM

Found this email address associated with it:
cynthialoyd@hotmail.com (Cynthia Loyd Matthew Thomson)
Maybe some info there?

trek1200 11-18-2007 03:32 PM

dlongendyke,
Any idea as to where I can get parts or plans for the New horizon?

SeaBreeze,
What was the e-mail associated with? the New Horizon?

SailorMitch 11-18-2007 05:40 PM

Trek -- Sorry, but I don't know of any sites or links for the New Horizon.

seabreeze_97 11-18-2007 07:16 PM

Yeah, the New Horizon 26. It's from the "Good Old Boat" web page. "We're seeking people who'd like to serve as contacts for those boats which have no organized groups. This means keeping a list of boat owners' names and helping them find each other."
Her name was listed for that boat. Might be some useful info there.