Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-22-2001
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
"New Horizon" 26 1962 ??

A buddy of mine just picked up a 1962 "New Horizon" The boat is 26 ft, sloop rigged, inboard gas motor (unknown horsepower). The price was so low I was a afraid to see what condition the boat would be in. It needs alot of cosmetic work and at the very least new running rigging but the motor starts right up and the boat is so dry it has no bilge pump!

The problem is I can''t find any information on the internet about this boat. I have tried all the sailing sights that I know of and every search engine I can think of.

I would be thankful for any information!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2007

trek1200 is on a distinguished road
New Horizon

I saw your thread on sailnet whilst trying to do some research for my own New Horizon 26. My boat is a 1959 fiberglass hulled 26ft ugly betty. I mean it really is pretty unattractive, however, the price was right for me. I paid 250 dollars for it , but it floats, has no holes, 2 sets of mains and 3 jibs, all in decent shape. I have run into the same problem that you have in terms of finding information about the boat or the company. from what I can tell, the New horizon boat company went out of business sometime in the late sixties or early seventies. In response the the comment you made about the horsepower of the motor, the two other New horizons that I've been able to track down had a 4 cyl Atomic diesel that produces around 30 HP. if you have any more questions or have any info you wouldn't mind sharing with me. please feel free to contact me.
Cheers
Old 11-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Trek1200-

It is very unlikely that they're still looking for any info, since the thread you replied to is over six years old. Please don't revive dead threads, as it is considered poor net etiquette.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-16-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Dawg -- While I generally agree with your thoughts about old threads, I'd cut this guy some slack because the New Horizon is not very well known. It was designed in 1957 by S&S for the Ray Greene & Company as one of the first auxiliary powered sailboats made from fiberglass. Greene is usually credited as the first person to build a fiberglass boat. The New Horizon sold rather poorly at first and is over shadowed in fiberglass sailboat lore by the Pearson Triton, which was introduced at the 1959 New York Boat Show. The Pearson cousins sold something like 19 Tritons at that show and were off and running in the fiberglass boat industry. The New Horizon continued on, but Greene got mad at S&S when they designed a very similar 27 footer 3 years later for Douglas & McLeod that came to be known as the Tartan 27 . The larger Tartan was more popular than the New Horizon.

Source of all this is Dan Spurr's terrific book "Heart of Glass", which is the history of fiberglass boats and the men who made them. I refer to my copy quite often.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 11-17-2007

Any ideas

Mitch,
Thanks for the info. I just went on Amazon and purchased "Heart of Glass," hopefully that should have a few more answers. Do you by chance know if there are any other good sources of info for the ugly step-sister of a vessel that I'm hoping to polish? literally anything will help, from parts to groups, to anything? Thanks again. Happy trails.
Old 11-18-2007

dlongendyke is on a distinguished road
Hey I used to own and live on a New Horizon while I finished college in the early 70s. I spent two years after graduating sailing the florida keys on it. It sailed great.
Old 11-18-2007
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Found this email address associated with it:
cynthialoyd@hotmail.com (Cynthia Loyd Matthew Thomson)
Maybe some info there?
Old 11-18-2007

dlongendyke,
Any idea as to where I can get parts or plans for the New horizon?

SeaBreeze,
What was the e-mail associated with? the New Horizon?
Old 11-18-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Trek -- Sorry, but I don't know of any sites or links for the New Horizon.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 11-18-2007
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, the New Horizon 26. It's from the "Good Old Boat" web page. "We're seeking people who'd like to serve as contacts for those boats which have no organized groups. This means keeping a list of boat owners' names and helping them find each other."
Her name was listed for that boat. Might be some useful info there.