SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

A few questions about outfitting a new boat

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  thoran 
#1 ·
Hi: I am actually doing some homework (vs just letting the old compulsive buyer come out) and have a couple of more questions about outfitting a new Tartan 3400:
1. The brochure says Yanmar saildrive, the dealer says Volvo. I don't even know if there is an option, but if there is...what is the preference?
2. I posted a reply to an old thread about mainsail slides/battcars, etc and may not get much response; is one better than another?
3. Are most of you in favor of upgrading winches?
4. Any thoughts about hardtop dodgers vs the traditional soft top?
5. Are there any marine audio systems that are compatible with IPODs or other types of MP 3 players? They typically don't put in the best equipment on a new boat, so I thought I would check.
6. On electronics - C or E from Raymarine?
I know there is a lot here...sorry!
Thanks!
Tim

#3 ·
1) six of one, half-dozen of the other IMHO.

2) It depends...

3) Getting larger winches is probably a good idea.

4) Depends on what kind of sailing you're planning on doing. If you're planning on going off-shore, a hardtop dodger is probably better than soft dodger.

5) Yes, Clarion and a few other manufacturers have units that are marinized, and have an optional iPod connector, that allows you to control the iPod using the stereo controls.

6) Depends on whether you need multiple displays (one in the cockpit, one at the nav station) or not. The C-series do not allow multiple displays, while the E-series does.

#4 ·
thoran said:
1. The brochure says Yanmar saildrive, the dealer says Volvo. I don't even know if there is an option, but if there is...what is the preference?
Yanmar for parts availability and price.
2. I posted a reply to an old thread about mainsail slides/battcars, etc and may not get much response; is one better than another?
Battcars make it easier.
3. Are most of you in favor of upgrading winches?
YES
4. Any thoughts about hardtop dodgers vs the traditional soft top?
Cheaper in the long run but adds windage in storm/hurricane.
5. Are there any marine audio systems that are compatible with IPODs or other types of MP 3 players? They typically don't put in the best equipment on a new boat, so I thought I would check.
I would avoid marine stereos entirely as they are overpriced and underperforming compared to decent car stereos....unless you are going to mount yours where it will get wet normally. I wrote a 2 part article on marine stereos for Latts/Atts last July/August issues which serves as a pretty good summary of your options. PM me if you can't find it on line. As to MP3 Player hookups...there are 2 types...aux input jacks which allow you to play ANY mp3 player though your car stereo that has these jacks which are increasingly common. The other type is an i-pod specific interface which allows you to use and control an i-pod with info appearing on the radio itself. (PS...you do need speakers which will stand up in a marine environment...you don't need marinized but you want plastic grills, cones and rubber surrounds which are a bit harder to find in todays car stereo market. Indoor/outdoor speakers work well in the cockpit too.)
6. On electronics - C or E from Raymarine?
No opinion

#6 · (Edited)
BTW, if you really want to mount speakers in the cockpit, I would highly recommend that you mount them underneath a deckplate that can be sealed, especially if you are taking the boat offshore. A six-inch speaker hole can let a lot of water into the boat if the cockpit gets pooped. If you mount the speakers beneath a deckplate fitting, you can seal the opening in case of really bad weather.

#7 ·
Well, not to be a party pooper, but I would suggest that you get the boat, sail it a bit, and THEN decide on equipment upgrades. I can't see needing a Batt Car system on a 34 and I would bet that the winches are fine, Tartan being a good manufacturer and all. As for the hard dodger, it is several times the price of canvas if I'm not mistaken and it's only value (to me) would be for mounting solar panels. And forget marine stereos, go to Circuit City. The trick on a new boat is that you don't want the dealer's guys installing things until you've thought out where & how you want everything. That takes a little boat time to figure out. You also don't always get the best prices from the dealer. Don't forget the West Marine new boater discount. They give something like 10% off for the first 15-30 days of ownership so you can get all the little stuff you'll need. Have fun & Congrats!

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.