Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-22-2001

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
New Horizon 26-sorry about second header

The New Horizons were built by Ray Greene in Ohio I believe. Ray Greene was a real pioneer in fiberglass construction building a pretty diverse line of fiberglass boats that included the Rebel on up to the New Horizon. I believe that the New Horizon was a Sparkman and Stevens design closely a kin to the Tartan 27 keel centerboard boat.

Like many boats of this era the New Horizons were a mixed bag. Originally intended as MORC race bosts they had pretty wholesome lines. They were reasonably roomy down below for that era. They were pretty good upwind with the centerboard down and pretty good dead downwind with the board raised. By today''s standards they would be dead slow and miserable in light air.

Construction was not the best but it was not awful either. Like many boats of this era the engineering was not that good and the extra weight adds stresses but does little for adding strength.

Obviously the standing and running rigging if original is completely shot. Sails if they have not been replaced several times over the years are long past useful. Otherwise there could be a lot of work and expense putting the old girl back in shape and of course your friend will have a bit of antique when you are done.

Good luck
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2002

MartyPipp is on a distinguished road

Jeff,

Very interested to read your post. I have acquired a 1960 New Horizons that I am restoring. She is in wonderful condition! The construction is very heavy, as you mention, but I can''t detect any signs of this having stressed the hull. The design was not a bad one. In fact, after spending time with the drawings at Mystic, I am really impressed with the thoughtfulness of the designers and Ray Greene. The heaviness of the boat, I believe, is due to the builders not really understanding the physical properties of the materials very well. The NH was the first fiberglass cruising sailboat ever made on a production basis. In fact, the very first drawings of S&S render the boat in wood! There is an excellent discussion of the NH in Spurr''s book "Heart of Glass." Would be interested in corresponding if you have more information or interest in NH or old boat restoration.
Old 03-29-2002

thomasstone is on a distinguished road

Marty, I do not know how long you have been around here but Jeffs bias is toward light weight egg beaters. I believe he is dead wrong when he says the overbuilt glass boats of the sixties and seventies the extra weight is just causing more stress. I think if this was the case so many of these boats would not still be around .
thomas
Old 06-12-2011

kjgsail is on a distinguished road
Jeff and Marty, yes the New Horizon was built in Toledo, Ohio at Ray Greene and Co. and is a Sparkman and Stephens design. At the time it was the smallest boat they had designed.
I beg to differ, the manufacturer understood the materials, Ray Greene is the father of fiberglas boats! The boat was popular for having 6' headroom as well as roominess down below in the cabin.
If this boat had been poorly built as Jeff suggests there wouldn't be any sailing today, 50/40 years after being made.
Smooth sailing always,
Old 06-12-2011
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road
Where is Sailingdog when you need him?