Adding a second bilge pump - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 11-09-2015 Thread Starter

Adding a second bilge pump

I am thinking of adding a second bilge pump to my boat. The current bilge pump is way to small and very high up and as a result the bilge has a constant amount of water in it.

My current plan, I only started planning this last night would be to add a diaphragm pump outside of the bilge with a float switch way down low in the bilge. Then add a larger centrifugal pump in the place the current pump is as a backup to the diaphragm pump.

The current pump is plumbed through the manual gusher to its through hull.

My question is would a second bilge pump need its own plumbing and own through hull?

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-09-2015
HANUMAN

Re: Adding a second bilge pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
I am thinking of adding a second bilge pump to my boat. The current bilge pump is way to small and very high up and as a result the bilge has a constant amount of water in it.

My current plan, I only started planning this last night would be to add a diaphragm pump outside of the bilge with a float switch way down low in the bilge. Then add a larger centrifugal pump in the place the current pump is as a backup to the diaphragm pump.

My question is would a second bilge pump need its own plumbing and own through hull?
I would say that it should have it's own plumbing, wiring and through hull.

Of course it an be done with short cuts but that might defeat the purpose and advantages of redundant systems.

HANUMAN
'88 C&C 30 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #3 of 17 Old 11-09-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
Of course it an be done with short cuts but that might defeat the purpose and advantages of redundant systems.
Kind of what I was thinking also. Way too many shortcuts done on this boat in the past and I am trying to reverse that trend. I wish the confidence in my mechanical skills included drilling holes in the exterior of the boat.

Can someone suggest which type of diaphragm pump I should be looking at? Also would it be a sound design to either the diaphragm pump or centrifugal pump inline with the gusher pump?

Jordan
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 17 Old 11-09-2015

How about installing one good pump in the place of the substandard pump you have now? Adding through hulls to your boat is just not a good thing.
Skipper Jer and bobperry like this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #5 of 17 Old 11-09-2015
Master Mariner

I agree with adding all new plumbing and wiring. Adding a thruhull way above the waterline should be no problem. A diaphragm pump, as you described is definitely the way to go if you don't want back flush from a submersible, which will always be in the bilge.
Question; when using the gusher, what stops water going back into the bilge through the submersible?

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

post #6 of 17 Old 11-09-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
How about installing one good pump in the place of the substandard pump you have now? Adding through hulls to your boat is just not a good thing.
In the year I have been involved with this boat I have twice had one portion of the bilge pump system fail wire connections and float switch. I have fixed both portions of that but if either part of the system were to fail now I am sunk.

Also there is currently an excessive leak in the stuffing box. Until I can pull the boat and address the issues around the engine shaft addressed it is cheap insurance and gives me the incentive to make it right. I think a two pump system is the recommended way to go anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Question; when using the gusher, what stops water going back into the bilge through the submersible?
Not sure but from my hours of knowledge on this subject, a few hours studying this morning... The gusher should have a check valve on either side of the input and output side to work. Which I am now thinking it probably a no-no upstream from the centrifugal pump.

So far i have only been handling the wiring aspect of the wet end of the bilge pump system between pumps and switches. I am now trying to address the entire system.

Jordan
Oceanside CA
post #7 of 17 Old 11-09-2015

I like your plan. Two complete redundant systems is the way to go. Use smooth hose and be sure to check the ability of your chosen pumps to lift water to the height of your overboard discharge. They degrade quickly with every foot of rise. A small convenience pump (I like the diaphragm as it won't backflow), backed up by a big dog is the way to go. No check valves, be sure you can activate both manually and automatically. IMO.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-13-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post

Here are two articles on how I addressed this issue on my own boat, Oystercatcher.

Ericson 25, Oystercatcher: Electrical, Bilge Pump Switches, Part I: Analysis and Installation

Ericson 25, Oystercatcher: Electrical, Bilge Pump Switches, Part 2: Wiring

Roscoe

Roscoe
Ericson 25, #226
Oystercatcher

post #9 of 17 Old 11-13-2015

I did exactly what you are wanting to do. Added a larger centrifugal pump, and put in a diaphragm pump to dry the bilge. Each is a separate system. The diaphragm pump will pump the bilge dry, with no hose return when shut off. This is the pump I have, and I have no affiliation with Defender.

Jabsco 36960 Series Diaphragm Bilge Pump
post #10 of 17 Old 11-14-2015 Thread Starter

In looking at products I contacted Whale Pumps.

They recommended this product.

Whale Bilge IC Automatic Remote Mounted Bilge Kit

Save you from having to buy a strainer and float switch and it has an integrated circuit that pumps for X number of seconds after water stops lifting float switch to run the bilge dry. It looks like a nice integrated unit.

Jordan
Oceanside CA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.