Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-13-2006
Seasoned Salt

Trekka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfesq
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...n/skunum=31225
I just got this new TV and the picture is kick-ass. Digital and HDTV.
I hate to break the news to you, but that is not a digital set, nor HDTV capable. It has a screen area of 640x480 pixels which is the current analog NTSC standard, and has analog over the air and cable channel tuner. All the external inputs are analog.

Even if fed an HDTV signal, which it is not clear this would receive, it would never display more than 640x480.

The full HD standard is about 1900x1080, though most cuurently sold "HDTV" sets transcode downwards to 1440x1080 and lower.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Funny, how Surfesq says not to go cheap on the TV, but gets that particular unit, and doesn't even know the difference between a HDTV, like this one, and the POS he ordered.

I just got one of these Sharp Aquos units for the house, but don't need or want one on the boat. It does HDTV and has an ATSC HDTV Tuner built into the set... Picture quality is amazing...and I got it, a 26" HDTV, for about what he paid for that 20" unit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-13-2006

zfactor is on a distinguished road
On land, I don't think I ever had a TV stop working unless it was older than 25 years. What would you all say is a flat screen's expected life in a salt water environment? How about a laptop and a desktop computer?
Old 09-14-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Z factor...I have yet to have a TV fail on board. Present flat screen is 3 years old and NO problems. Assuming the boat is kept dry inside... I don't see any reason the life would be shortened in any meaningful way as there are no moving parts and everything is printed boards and chips.
Laptops/Desktops don't last like they do on land...the good news is that when they fail...they're already worthless! I love technology!!

SDog... you need a 60" set for those New England winters!
Old 09-14-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Wow! That is great information. Thanks. I am going to return that TV right away. I will keep searching for an HDTV 20" or bigger 12 volt TV.

And another benefit of being wrong. Mayor McCheese got to imply that I am stupid! Which we all know is his favorite pastime. (Calling someone on Sailnet Stupid)>
Old 09-14-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The one thing I would recommend, if you're going to be keeping a TV on-board is that you use it fairly frequently, as the heat from operation will help prevent condensation from occurring, and may help prolong the life of the electronics.

Surfesq-

There's a difference between being stupid, which I don't believe you are, and being ignorant, which I do believe you are, at least about HDTVs. Nothing in that listing said it was an HDTV, nor did the company in any way represent it to be one. Making the assumption that a flat panel TV is an HDTV is rather ignorant, and if your TV viewing habits and Redskins games are so important to you, it would behoove you to educate yourself a bit about HDTV.

BTW, most of the LCD TVs greater than 17" have a AC-power supply built into the TV, and will probably require an inverter to run on a boat. Some of the smaller units do have a "wall wart" or external transformer and accept DC input, but most are higher than the 12V that is nominal on a boat, so would require a DC-to-DC regulated power supply. Unfortunately, most electronics, like LCD TVs are happier with true-sine wave AC rather than modified or square sine wave AC, and the inverters that supply true-sine wave AC tend to be less efficient IIRC, than the others. But on a houseboat like yours, you should be able to fit a decent size true-sine wave inverter and the very large battery bank to go with it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 09-14-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
LCD's TV's don't care about true sine waves. Modified is just fine. Where did you get that information?

The rest of your post is dead on accurate. Now let's talk about why the black level sucks on LCD TV's .
Old 09-14-2006
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
LCD's TV's don't care about true sine waves. Modified is just fine. Where did you get that information?

The rest of your post is dead on accurate. Now let's talk about why the black level sucks on LCD TV's .
Got the information from a guy over at Planar Systems, which makes a fair number of LCD panels.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 09-15-2006
moderate?

S-Dog...he's just flat wrong. At worst you'll see some lines in the picture assuming at is a transformer based MSW inverter. There is NO issue with it working or damaging the set or the life of the set. You won't even see any lines with a good inverter. Note this commentary from sinergex which sells BOTH types of inverters:
The main downside to modified sine wave output is slight interference. This interference can be seen on some televisions and computers. It will not cause any damage, but can be a little annoying. The upside to modified sine wave inverters is they will run most appliances, and are very affordable.

Obviously the guys at Planar don't like any lines on their displays...but it ain't gonna hurt anything. I've had my LCD running off my Heart for 3 years now...no lines...no problems.

Old 09-17-2006
Seasoned Salt

Trekka is on a distinguished road
One thing to consider is an extended warranty. I usually do not get one, having never had a unit fail w/in one, only just after.

But since I bought it to use on my boat I did get one for the Panasonic LCD TV, precisely because the warranty explicitly covered humidity damage. (That was a surprise!)

Re: use w/invertors

I can run this tv & a small noname DVD player off a cheapo 70W inut that plugs into a cig plug socket. Work fine.