Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-17-2006

stoutwench is on a distinguished road
Foxglove

I'm not familiar with ATI adapter/software. Can you describe the set up and any pro/cons?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Here's the link to their TV tuner options...
http://shop.ati.com/searchresults.asp?dept_id=27
Old 09-21-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Interesting that Surfesq hasn't replied to my response above... hmm... maybe it is a bit too close to the truth for him...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-23-2006

groundhog is on a distinguished road
I am trying to find a dc-dc converter for my Dell laptop so I can run the 12v up to the 20V required by the unit. I am thinking it will save power rather than pumping the 12vdc up to 120vac, then converting it all the way back down to 20vdc. ...? am I wrong? Maybe I am just trying to save a miniscule amount of energy..

gh
Old 09-23-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
While it may not save a whole lot more energy than going the DC-AC-DC route, it will vastly simplify your wiring and allow you to omit the inverter. A good, inexpensive inverter is still going to be about $100 or so.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 09-25-2006

kerryt is on a distinguished road
Go to www.amperor.com for a 12v DC voltage stabilizer. Bought one and it works great directly off 12v house battery power to my smaller LCD TV in aft stateroom. Larger LCD in Salon power requirement is greater than 12v. SOL..............
Old 09-30-2006
Telstar 28

kerryt-

they do make DC-to-DC stabilized power supplies that output more than 12v... If you are interested, I can see if my friend can tell me what make/model he has on his boat.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-15-2007

svbillabong is on a distinguished road
DC Flat panel setup

We use a SyncMaster system with a Tuner built in. The tuner isn't worth much outside the states because our only TV system option in US or Japan and NZ/Australia doesn't work. Even if you don't want TV make sure you get a LCD with AV inputs as well as a PC input. We hook our DVD player (Sony vertical) that runs off 10.5 volts so I added two diodes off our DC-DC regulated supply and all is good. Make sure you use a DC-DC stabilizer, I know others who don't use the monitor while charging and skip the voltage regulation. We also have a small DVD player that we can use in the cockpit, for KT doing Yoga/Aerobics, runs off 12 volts, and we can plug it into the big monitor if we want the size (and can stand the heat below).

Don't use the laptop as a DVD player, especially if it is your navigation computer. In the tropical climates it over heats and causes early failure. We had 5 boats lose their computers in one week in the heat of the Marshall Islands. Make sure you have good airflow, invest in a laptop cooling pad. Passive cooling is fine, a USB fan driven cooler is better but noisier.

Most chart tables have a small bulkhead between it and the saloon. I built a simple swivel that includes a stainless rod, drilled into a hole in the back of the chart table. It goes up to a small block with a slit, that is screwed into the mounting holes on the back of the TV (just match the screw threads which are usually metric). The bottom two bolts have wing nuts that tighten and hold the TV in place. This way I can pivot it toward the chart table for use with the computer, or to the saloon for the DVD player. You can also buy open frame LCD kits with the all controllers on the back from Earth LCD which you can mount in some nice wooden displays. I put mine in a metal picture frame and bolted it to the chart table bulkhead. click here for photo of the LCD mount (the picture frame LCD is in the lower left).

Don't forget a good car stereo (without a removable faceplace) with an Aux or MP3 headphone input and you've got a full "boat theater" system (Don't forget the IPOD).

Chris Myles + KT Roddick

Old 04-15-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
I'm going through a similar search. Do your homework, even within good brands some models get poor reviews. Look for trends in reviews, not individual reviews. Weight and mounting location are a consideration for me. I'd like the thru bolt it and that seems to be dictating an articulating arm mount for me. Right now I'm probably going to buy a Sony Bravia 26 inch model. Good luck.
Tom Shannon
Old 04-16-2007

phiggins is on a distinguished road
This one has DVD too.

Just saw this one at Futureshop: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10084066&catid=#=#

Seems like a good price ($600 CDN) for an 26" HD capable LCD TV and it has a builtin DVD player too. Doesn't have DC capability but I have an old TV with DC capability on the boat now and I find I always run it off the AC (shore power or inverter) because it is too much trouble to switch the power cords at the back of the TV for DC.

Paul

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.