SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Which Flat-Panel TV? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/22664-flat-panel-tv.html)

jr438234606 09-04-2006 08:18 PM

Which Flat-Panel TV?

Dockside I like to catch local weather reports (and yes, an occasional movie :D ) and therefore keep my boat equipped with a TV. As my old tube is on the blink, I'm looking to replace it with a low-power-consumption LCD, 12-volt, flat-panel device in the 15" - 17" range. I see 120VAC devices all day long, but I would rather not run it through an inverter.

Can anyone make a suggestion for an inexpensive set (other than the 800 - 1500 dollar variety sold by West Marine)

sailingdog 09-04-2006 10:15 PM

try one of these

catalyst27 09-04-2006 10:26 PM

you also may want to inspect the tv's a little closer as i have found some to have a conversion cable from 120 to 12v and after consulting with the reps found out that alot of the newer tvs are being converted to 12 from 120 due to the components being more durable so in reality i can hard wire the tv into the batts and not have to worry with the 120 side of it

sailingdog 09-04-2006 11:43 PM

I would recommend a visit to Circuit City in person, to look at the TVs in person. This is for two reasons: 1) Check out the picture quality; 2) Check to see which units are DC-powered. A good number of them are, using a wall-wart type transformer to convert the AC to DC.

hsilvermanmdjd 09-05-2006 02:24 AM

SatTV

I don't know your financial situation but if you can swing it, the new KVH TracVision Sat TV Receiver is a great add to your TV set-up. We are die hard Red Sox fans (suffering of late) and we didn't miss a game all summer.

MikeinLA 09-05-2006 03:27 AM

I just finished installing a 26" Sharp Aquos widescreen LCD TV in my Cat 36. It was about $ 975 . I highly recommend the Sharp Aquos brand having moved up from a 20". I must say the installation job went absolutely splendidly (hand patting back).

Mike

camaraderie 09-05-2006 11:11 AM

Since all the TV's sold in the stores run off AC...you need to look for ones which use a converter between the wall plug and TV then READ THE SPECS on the converter box and look for one that features 12V OUTPUT...then you can safely clip the wire and run it off your batteries.

Second...you will find big price differentials between sets depending on ther HDTV capabilities. Do you NEED HDTV built in or not? If you plan to hold on to ths boat for a while, I would suggest getting one with a built in HDTV tuner UNLESS you will be hooking up to a satellite dish which will need it's own HDTV tuner box.

Finally...I would avoid the "no name brands" which include many old and famous brands that have been "repurposed" by far east fatories and go with brands that actually have manufacturing.capabilities...Sony,Sharp,Philips(ma gnavox),Samsung,Toshiba are all good choices IN THIS SIZE RANGE.

abj87 09-05-2006 10:32 PM

If you cut out the ac adapter the tv is susceptible to voltage fluctuation and spikes which may fry the tv. I'd use a small cheep inverter.

sailingdog 09-05-2006 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abj87
If you cut out the ac adapter the tv is susceptible to voltage fluctuation and spikes which may fry the tv. I'd use a small cheep inverter.

Not if you use a good stabilized DC-to-DC power supply, like that used on DC-powered computers.

foxglove 09-06-2006 01:45 PM

Maybe a laptop?

Last year, we bought a laptop computer for under $600 (after rebate). We watch tv on it via cable and an ATI adapter/software which will also record tv shows while you are gone (at home or on board). It will even record the show as you watch so if you delay it for 15 minutes, you can skip the commercials.

We watch movies on it which we rent from Netflix, so there is no late fee for having it for a couple weeks.

We have Maptech software on it including the chart which came with the paper charts we bought for $100.

And our marina has free wireless internet, as many are installing.

It seems that the smaller the screen on the computer, the cheaper is the computer. I think smaller laptops are valued because they are lighter but you want to watch a larger screen so that is an advantage.

I think a laptop is the best choice.

Don't drop it overboard.