Need help on masthead sheave replacement information - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-13-2015 Thread Starter
rhs

Need help on masthead sheave replacement information

The main halyard sheave in my masthead assembly needs replacement and I'd like to find out information on its size and best sources of such sheaves. My boat is a 1984 Pacific Seacraft Orion. Can anybody help? I've got a question in on the Orion Users group website but would like to reach out to a broader audience and experience set. I welcome suggestions on best sheave materials or any other advice - before I head up the mast. Thanks in advance!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-13-2015

Re: Need help on masthead sheave replacement information

You can remove the faulty sheave from the masthead and have a new one custom made to size. In this article I provide the details on how I did this on my boat, Oystercatcher.

Ericson 25, Oystercatcher: Rigging, Running, Wire-Rope Halyard to All-Rope Halyard Conversion

Roscoe

Roscoe
Ericson 25, #226
Oystercatcher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-13-2015
Just another Moderator

The procedure and the ease of which this can be done depends greatly on the design of the masthead fittings and the pin holding the sheaves.

Having a new sheave machined should not be complicated, esp if you have an old one out for comparison. However changing it aloft will be a challenge, and obviously you can't do it hanging on that particular halyard.

I'd imagine that PSC used a standard mast supplier - if you're luck they are still in business and might advise/even have parts.

Some pictures of your setup would be very helpful.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
rhs (11-16-2015)

post #4 of 14 Old 11-15-2015

Sorry, can't lead you to the correct parts, but will mention that when I replaced the sheaves on my Catalina 28 I used plain bearings for the halyards that don't get used often, and used a ball bearing sheave for the main, which gets used a lot. Very smooth.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Siamese For This Useful Post:
rhs (11-16-2015)
post #5 of 14 Old 11-15-2015

Harken
post #6 of 14 Old 11-15-2015 Thread Starter
rhs

Thanks everybody for the information so far. I'm attaching some pictures of the masthead assembly when the mast was down a year ago. A ball bearing sheave would certainly be nice.
Attached Thumbnails
P1030979.jpg   P1030980.jpg   P1030977.jpg  
post #7 of 14 Old 11-15-2015

The photos look quite similar to my masthead sheaves. Mine is a LeFiell mast, and they're still in business. The sheaves look like aluminum, as are mine. Yours, too, are cut for wire-and-rope halyards (ditto).
My sheaves are aluminum with bronze bushings. They're bullet-proof. If still in good shape, they're better than new plastic ones. New aluminum sheaves are very costly. The bushings are really the only parts that are likely to wear much, and they can be replaced easily by a machine shop if necessary. Mine, in use since '79, didn't require that.
I'd prefer bushings to bearings. Simpler, more robust, fewer parts to wear, corrode or stick. Remember that most of the time they're stationary, and under stress.
I suggest you do as I did and pull them before you decide whether to replace them. May just look a little ugly on the surface.
Your larger problem may be the secondary groove, if you use all-rope halyards. The small inner groove will damage your rope halyards in time. I found my sheave diameters to be large enough that I could have the grooves re-cut to round profiles at a local machine shop for all-rope use for about $10 each. They had to shave about 1/4 inch from the original diameters. They were like new when I re-mounted them with a little silicone grease.
You may find, as I did, that you're actually lucky to have the ones that are there now.
If your mast is still up, be very careful not to lose the sheaves or the aluminum plates between them when you pull the pins out.
JV

Last edited by VallelyJ; 11-15-2015 at 02:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to VallelyJ For This Useful Post:
rhs (11-16-2015)
post #8 of 14 Old 11-15-2015

I replaced my sheaves last summer. On my 1980 Hunter it required dropping the mast, so I took the opportunity to replace all 4 sheaves, standing rigging, and in mast wiring (including switching to LED lighting). A small marine machine shop made the sheaves for me for a very reasonable price. A local rigger made the shrouds using the old shrouds as a template, and I did all of the assembly and adjustment. All told, total costs including yard charges for crane and yard time, and miscellaneous supplies, were less than $2,000.
The Following User Says Thank You to jfurlong For This Useful Post:
rhs (11-16-2015)
post #9 of 14 Old 11-15-2015
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhs View Post
Thanks everybody for the information so far. I'm attaching some pictures of the masthead assembly when the mast was down a year ago. A ball bearing sheave would certainly be nice.
Looks like your sheave shafts are easily accessible and removeable, that helps. However it looks tricky to do aloft, if that's your intention, and also looks like some pins need to come out besides to actually pull the sheaves out.

This would be a lot easier to do with the mast down.. esp if you tend to drop things like I do....

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #10 of 14 Old 11-15-2015

Quote:
and also looks like some pins need to come out besides to actually pull the sheaves out.
This would be a lot easier to do with the mast down.. esp if you tend to drop things like I do....
Ditto that.
The pins are a tight fit and I had to drive them out. Put a long screwdriver through them before you push them out. That will keep the sheaves and dividers from falling into the mast. Tie a string or wire around each sheave before you pull the pins so you don't need a 3rd hand to grip them. It was a bigger PIA than it looks.
The Following User Says Thank You to VallelyJ For This Useful Post:
rhs (11-16-2015)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.