Mast Climbing - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 09-24-2001 Thread Starter

Mast Climbing

Mast climbing gear. Any experience with either "The Top Climber" from ATN, Inc. or "Mast Mate" from Rockland, ME?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-25-2001

Mast Climbing

I use a variation of the top climber. Rather than pay the $300 I purchased a pair of climber''s ascenders from EMS at $49 ea and used my own bosun''s chair. You''ll also need to create webbing straps for your feet and a caribiner clip. Works great-cost little. Be sure to use a safety line too!
post #3 of 18 Old 09-25-2001

Mast Climbing

I agree with anon. No need to overpay for something that climbers have been using for years. This goes for bosun''s chairs as well; a climbing harness is a far safer and cheaper alternative.
post #4 of 18 Old 10-09-2001

Mast Climbing

I purchased the Top Climer from ATN. I''ve used it once and find it fairly easy to use. I purchased it from the "Factory" in Florida and watched the video and talked to the owner firs. You need a 7/16 halyard to climb or you have to hoist a 7/16 line. The key is to have tension in the line. The system is very comfortable.
Jim
post #5 of 18 Old 01-25-2002 Thread Starter

Mast Climbing

Hey, thanks for all your help. I watched this guy go up with a Top Climber at the Seattle Boat Show. I''m sure he saw the grin on my face! So, I am a proud new owner.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-27-2002

Mast Climbing

Ahoy climber, Iffin ye knew that in the beginning wat were the point of ye asking ye dim bulb? Was ye having second thoughts cause you developed a festering chafe on your arse? If you had a sound rig and the brains to keep it from fouling you wouldn''t need the silly thing. Does ye need a diving suit to to check yer props? Are ye sure you ain''t climbing the tree you been smoking? Avast there ye lubberly cur and climb up out of yer stupidity . Consider youself flogged. Big Red the pirate of Pine Island.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-27-2002

Mast Climbing

Hi, I bought one 2 years ago at the Miami Boat Show. One of the best things I''ve ever gotten for use on the boat.You never have to find someone to hoist you,and you can go up as many times as you have to. You made a good buy,regardless of what the Big Red Idiot has to say.He has never contributed anything useful,least of all,humor.
Marc
post #8 of 18 Old 01-27-2002

Mast Climbing

Ahoy , gershel, first ye ought to no better than to fire a broadside at me rigging without fair warning . Not that I mind yer inpertinance cause the likes of your kind always gets wots comming to him. da fact that ye have chosen the Pirate of Pine Island to pick a fight wit is proof of yer poor judgement. Why me point is I''d free climb any mast made and and if that make me a better man than most so what? As far as the original posters and your self appreciating comments about the product Are ye just plain nuts or what? How much money did you spend to make up for the obvious lack of strength and skill? As far as humor ye got the brains of an imbecile to think that I ain''t the funniest most entertaning sailor what ever lived. Rum or not. As far a contributing anything usefull ye wouldn''t know the difference it it hit you in yer addled head. I sir am real, I share who I am as a sailor and a person with the world and I am not afraid of critism because I know and am proud of who and what I am. Sailing is not a sport of the gentry and you sir are beneath my contempt for the fool that you are. All that said I am a Pirate and flogging the handicapped may be unpopular in polite company but I rather don''t care one wit. I enjoy it. But you know where I am and what I am. Avast ther ye be given no quarter and I be asking for none. Big Red 56 the Pirate of Pine Island.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-28-2002
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Mast Climbing

You go pirate. Can''t we all just get along! What ever happened to the good old days where we bashed Benehuntalinas?
post #10 of 18 Old 01-28-2002

Mast Climbing

Hi, thanks for proving my point. Glad we agree on something.
Marc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.