Have You Seen A Mainsheet System Set-up This Way? - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 11-19-2015 Thread Starter

Have You Seen A Mainsheet System Set-up This Way?

I recently purchased a Catalina 27. I'm not an experienced sailor...yet. The mainsheet system seems a little odd to me though. Can you tell from the photo what's going on?

Instead of the rigging traveling along the boom to the mast and then forward to the winch on top of the cabin it is going side to side to a block and then to the winch.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
20151101_122922.jpg  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-19-2015
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
Re: Have You Seen A Mainsheet System Set-up This Way?

German mainsheet setup.

S/V Old Shoes
1973 Pearson 30 #255
post #3 of 22 Old 11-19-2015
Just another Moderator

It is a bit odd.. You've lost the control a main sheet traveler would provide, but if you beefed up your vang it's probably a workable arrangement.

However it would also seem to preclude any decent sort of dodger installation too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
German mainsheet setup.
..except it's not double ended as most of those are.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 11-19-2015 at 06:39 PM.
post #4 of 22 Old 11-19-2015
Master Mariner

Isn't this a very common boat? I'd like to see how it is normally rigged.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 22 Old 11-19-2015

You see this set up on a dinghy. The boom cannot be brought to center with this arrangement. Fine if you don't want to go to weather.
post #6 of 22 Old 11-19-2015

The traveler broke. They are expensive. This goofy idea was cheaper. That's my guess. Looks useless for the reasons stated above.

On a dinghy it works because it is effectively shorter...it's on the transom...and a dinghy without a headsail does not benefit from the boom being centered.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
The Following User Says Thank You to aloof For This Useful Post:
oysterman23 (11-22-2015)
post #7 of 22 Old 11-19-2015

HaHa that's funny Verman . Hey chas welcome aboard . Cat 27 is a excellent boat . Hope this pic helps , and look at it this way you have all the Garhauer blocks to do it right .
CATALINA 27 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
post #8 of 22 Old 11-19-2015

That looks like a German mainsheet, but the ones I have used also needed a separate traveler to adjust the sail's angle of attack. Also, the ones I have used needed a second pair of winches to adjust the mainsheet. The need for two extra winches would make a conversion to a German mainsheet system expensive.

As I recall, the Catalina 27 originally had an end boom mainsheet, which was attached to a traveler car. The traveler car ran on either a rod that was attached to the transom, or it was attached to a t track on the transom. (I don't remember for sure which it was.) If that rod or track is still there, it shouldn't be too difficult to revert to the original system. You might even find the original blocks in a drawer somewhere.

A lot of people don't like an end boom mainsheet and transom mounted traveler, so they changed them. I had that arrangement on a boat similar to the C27, and liked it after I got used to it.
post #9 of 22 Old 11-20-2015

Most C-27's I've seen have a traveler on top of the cabin, with a sheet on the car or going forward and then back like on a C-30. That pic looks like new line and garhauer blocks. Too bad they didn't just buy a garhauer traveler too.

Googling "Catalina 27 mainsheet" images shows lots of good picks of mainsheet routing.
post #10 of 22 Old 11-20-2015

One of my boats had a similar setup but had 2 separate main sheets. This worked pretty well, as you could release one, and tension the other to control both boom angle and height. Also created sort of a natural preventer within some limit of boom angles.

With this setup, it would seem that you do not have independent control of boom height and angle. If you want to center the boom, you've also got to pull it down hard and flatten the main.

Without doing too much, you might be able to rig it as a double mainsheet, I think that might be better?
RobGallagher and Faster like this.

Tags
catalina 27 , mainsheet , rigging configuration

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.