Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-25-2001

j1budo is on a distinguished road
Boat Cushions and Foam

Hello everyone, I am looking to see what is the best foam to use for boat cushions and mattresses. I know there are a few types out there but I would like to see what you have to say.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2001

tliveright is on a distinguished road
Boat Cushions and Foam

I''ve spent the last few weeks on the same mission re exterior cushions. Closed cell foam (relatively hard and dense and floats, no water absorption) and flow through ( no water absorption, softer, doesn''t float) foam seem to be the two most practical choices. Both can be obtained from Sailrite (www.sailrite.com) but are pretty pricey. I happened to find a foam source in Philadelphia that sells flow through. Choices for interior foam are multiple since water absorption is not a major concern. Any foam will do as long as it''s comfortable for you.
Old 09-25-2001

RichH will become famous soon enough
Boat Cushions and Foam

Simply do a websearch for foam suppliers near you. I prefer the heavier weight foams for boat, etc. cushions. The light weight foams dont give good support. ..... then be sure to add (glue) at least a 1" thick layer of poly fiber batting to the top of the cushion foam to make the foam ''works'' more evenly and give better support .... just like how its done with premium grade upholstery. You can additionaly overlay the poly batting with a latex film barrier to protect the foam from ''odors''.
Old 09-26-2001

j1budo is on a distinguished road
Boat Cushions and Foam

Thanks guys, that is basically what I thought. I am mostly concerned with Interior cushions at this time and you have given me some Ideas. There is a place on the net called Thomas Register that has a lot of businesses listed on there, I use this for engineering purposes and you can research foam manufacturers and suppliers on there. Thanks again
Old 09-26-2001
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
Boat Cushions and Foam

I have been in the process of having all of my cushions re-stuffed and I can tell you not all high-density closed cell foam is created equal. No matter where the cushions are used on or in your boat, there is copious moisture present. By all means, buy the best grade of HDCCF you can that is mildew proof. Yes, it is described as a "marine grade" which means it is more expensive however if you have any allergies you''ll be glad you didn''t go cheap! Cushions that suffer from mildew, break down much faster and have an unpleasant odor to them. Who wants a smelly cabin? Would you buy the cheapest mattress you could find for your bed at home or select one that offers good support, has a 10-year guarantee and is comfortable?
Old 10-10-2001

lamar is on a distinguished road
Boat Cushions and Foam

I can''t unzip my interor cushion covers. The zippers appear to be ''frozen'' I have wire brushed around them and sprayed them with WD40 to no avail. I''m concerned that any additional stress may break the zipper.

Any thoughts---- Thanks---- John
Old 10-11-2001

tliveright is on a distinguished road
Boat Cushions and Foam

I have a similar zipper problem with my Toolpak. The people there referred me to their website www.toolpak.com where there is a page dealing with sticky zippers. I haven''t tried their technique yet but it gives me hope. The one thing I was told (and also mistakenly tried) was NOT to use WD-40 but drenching with silicon after thorough washing of toolpak and zippers.
Good luck!
Old 10-11-2001

thomsonjd is on a distinguished road
Boat Cushions and Foam

I remember my mother years ago rubbing a standard candle (suggest you use colorless!!) up and down a zipper on a jacket that was sticking badly. Not sure if it would work on "frozen" zippers.
Old 10-19-2001

sunspotbaby is on a distinguished road
Boat Cushions and Foam

I am a little late replying on this and by now you have probably either fixed your zipper, torn it out and replaced it, or said to heck with it and left it for another day. Anyway, here are my thoughts.

I have found that “frozen” zippers on dive bags and boats are usually the result of the metal slide (car) corroding. I have had some success alternately soaking them in vinegar, rinsing, and soaking in WD40. I wiggle the a little each time. I have done this dozens of times and win more often than I lose.

If you replace the zipper make sure you have both plastic teeth (chain) and car (slider).
Old 03-23-2002

marcsl is on a distinguished road
Boat Cushions and Foam

Hi. Could you pls let me know where in Philadelphia you were able to find closed-cell foam? I recently bought an ''85 Gloucester 19, and it needs a complete set of cushions. Does you or anyone know where I can buy new fabric headliner to replace the existing one. Thanks, Marc