SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Diesel Engine Problem

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
On my first day of solo sailing (would it happen any other way?), as I'm backing out of the slip, once I place the diesel engine in reverse, she dies on me. I tried a couple of times, and no avail. I then attempted in forward, again she dies. I never had a problem prior to this instance.

I waiting about 15 minutes (engine off), tried again and she ran fine.

Any ideas of what caused this?

Thanks!

#4 ·
Assuming your fuel system is good, filter clean etc, the one other thing that stops a diesel running is air in the fuel line. You may need to bleed air from the system.

#6 ·
As this only happened when he put it in gear it doesn't sound like a motor problem. The chance that fuel problems would only occur when put into gear are very remote. Something around the prop or drive shaft sounds far more likely. As pigslo said a line would usually do this in one direction which may account for why it didn't occur when he tried it the third time - he unwrapped it when he put it in forward. The other problem that might cause this is a transmission problem.

#7 ·
Does the fuel have a history of being treated with a biocide for black algae? If not, the algae can clog the pick up line in the fuel tank. The vacuum on the diesel engine is very powerful and if it's not getting fuel due to a clog it can suck in air through a loose fitting. When an air pocket hits the injectors the engine dies. If you bleed the diesel when it dies, foamy fuel means it has air in the fuel. If it hasn't been treated with a biocide, it's a good time to start. FPPF makes a good product and I think Starbrite makes one, too.

Also condensation or water in the fuel due to a leaking deck fill can kill the engine. Check the o'ring on the deck fill to make sure it's there and not cracked and damaged from spilled diesel. What does the exhaust look like? Theoretically diesel exhaust is clear. A white exhaust can indicate moisture in the fuel.

Just a couple thoughts from personal experience. I believe that to be a good sailor in the 21st century you have to be a good mechanic. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.