Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-26-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
There is a great thread on this somewhere, adn I do believe the comments on this are outdated.

I have absolutely no problem with making your own WM - if you have a large generator or can put it on your main. Not a great idea otherwise. You may also have some difficulty with getting a wm small enough on your own as most of the home models (IIRC) are 20gph minimum. Nice for a guy like me with a family, not a furry wombat.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
NOt really a watermaker, more like an emergency solar still.
Quote:
Originally Posted by norsearayder View Post
check out seapanel.com,it seems to be a way to go for only 250$

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-26-2010

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Watermakers are easy to make but home-made ones are not necessarily that inexpensive. The cost is in the membrane and also a decent stainless high-pressure pump.

But the mechanics are simple and if you have a friendly engineer who can spin up some of the bits for you, a decent watermaker can be had for a lot less money than the commercially available ones.

There are, I think, several websites that will provide the how-to basics

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 01-27-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
TDW,
have a look at Citor. They are in WA. There will be a sales rep in NSW. I have a 90L/hr model - uses a davey pump and filters you can buy anywhere.

Gooday Oma, how are you.
We are flying over soon to WGTN soon. Hope the weather is summery.

Last edited by St Anna; 01-27-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-27-2010

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
Why would you want to do that?? Come to Auckland instead.

BTW I'm good thanks, how are you? And seriously if you are ever heading to Auckland give me a heads-up.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 01-27-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Why would you want to do that?? Come to Auckland instead.

BTW I'm good thanks, how are you? And seriously if you are ever heading to Auckland give me a heads-up.
Thanks Oma,
Family stuff and lashed to the timetable. I would really have enjoyed catching up. Next trip may be in 20 months time after a pacific loop. [On the plotting and planning list)

Same for you - If over to sth qld, give us a call.
cheers

Old 01-27-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
TDW,
have a look at Citor. They are in WA. There will be a sales rep in NSW. I have a 90L/hr model - uses a davey pump and filters you can buy anywhere.

Gooday Oma, how are you.
I will mate, thanks. btw there's an interestin article in this months Cruising Helmsman. (Thats an Oz publication for you non Aussies.)

Dog, I agree re the Sea Panel but thanks for the heads up NorseaRaydor.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 01-27-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Well, I personally have seen that there is a price difference - but it is not massive unless comparing against a Spectra or other 12v, high end model. I have always felt the big positives are that you can make a LOT of water quickly, and if it breaks, YOU know how to fix it. Go look at a Spectra to get a feel for what I am saying.

The negatives are that it is labor intensive, it is much larger than the typical commercially available units, and it may make too much water for you. The rule of thumb I have always considered is that you want to run your watermaker everyday or every other day to keep them membrand nice. WHen you start pushing off to a week+ between runs, you may have a problem with junk building up on the membrane and a premature death.

Note: Dad has a watermaker, not me. His is the SPectra. Nice unit, totally automated, and if that appeals to you and money is not an object, it is a good choice and good product. It is also the most efficient. I am either going to purchase a unit that is of the homemade variety (go here: Aquamarine, Inc - Home as I have seen on eof their products and that is all they have done) or I am going to make my own. I can use the large water cap and I personally want something I can repair and diagnose on my own. This does not appeal to everyone though.

Brian

PS You need a generator (unless you are really creative and can run it off your main and have the power to do so). I am not sure a 'Honda' would push it. If you do not have one, take it off your list.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 01-27-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-26-2010

Tagalong is on a distinguished road
I am just wondering how often you have to replace the filters on a watermaker.
Old 02-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagalong View Post
I am just wondering how often you have to replace the filters on a watermaker.
That depends on how much you use it and how clean the water is where you use it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.