Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-11-2006
Senior Moment

RickBowman is an unknown quantity at this point
No one has mentioned the manly, deep throated vibratto produced when "I love the smell of diesel in the morning" the iron jenny is powered up. The only thing worse then having a gasoline engine under my feet would be to have it hanging like a condemed prisoner off of the stern. With that being said, please don't look at the 2 HP honda on the dink.
Imho, the comment about the dangers of propane aboard is excellent. CNG is my first choice and I am considering converting over to it this winter. But as a good friend of mine "Dutch" said this summer, CNG stands for can not get.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2006

JakeLevi is on a distinguished road
Re: gas and propane dangers, propane stoves can easily have several cutoffs, it has a unique odor if a leak, and its in sight, the gas engine is out of sight and out of mind. Myself I'd have a diesel stove if I didnt dislike the smell . Much the safest. But there are so many safeguards now for propane that its liveable for me.

Once upon a time, when the world was younger and I was in Vietnam in recon we often had to vacate a place in a hurry, when that happened we'd leave a couple surprises behind, one being a coke bottle with a half liter of gas in it and an igniter in the top and a trip wire, these made a fire ball we could see, and hear, a mile away. Thinking what a 50 gallon fuel tank could do is a permemant block to me on ever having one.

Each to his own. I'd rather cuddle up next to the diesel engine.

A well maintained diesel is about the closest to immortality you'll ever find in an engine.
Old 11-11-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
There are fume detectors for both gasoline and propane... The Mark I nose is also good at detecting gasoline very well, at low concentrations.

Purpose and use will really determine which is better for the specific boat in questions. Long-distance cruisers, especially in foreign waters, will probably find having diesel-powered engines are better than gasoliine-powered ones.

Daysailors and weekend cruisers, or even coastal cruisers, may find that the quieter, smoother power of the gasoline engine makes more sense for them. The lower costs of purchasing and maintaining the gasoline-powered engine may pay for a lot of dock/marina fees.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-11-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Diesel vs Gas

Let's face it; manufacturers probably don't have too high opinion of their potential buyers. They didn't get half a million dollars to squander on a boat by sailing all their life. Thurston says to Lovie, "I think I'd like a sail boat for my birthday."
That being said, a diesel takes 1/3 of the fire triangle out of the operator's hands. Fuel, air, and heat are required for combustion, and compression is simpler than spark. The goal is idiot-proof.
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'll bet half the posters have gassed up their cars with standing gas on the ground and the engine running. And if diesel is the only way to go why do the vast majority of stink-pots have gassers?
I know the answer, but don't give me a bunch of hooie about safety.